5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What tire pressure do you run (both on-road and off-road)?

ImEngineer

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Rebel 1500 with the factory 18" rims. BFG K02 tires in the stock size (275/70R18).

On road: (following the recommended pressure on the door sticker)
  • 55 psi front
  • 45 psi rear

Off road:
  • 15 psi all around (no extreme driving, just slightly rugged roads below 45mph)

I'm considering experimenting with lowering the on-road tire pressure for better comfort. It seems the chalk test is the best way to do this. Yes, yes: I know there are things to consider when doing this:
  • Safety & handling
  • MPGs
  • Tire wear
  • Low tire light may come on (I think this can be programmed in alphaOBD though - let me know please)
I'm curious if anyone else has already done this exercise and what your results are.
IMG_6950.jpeg

ImEngineer

Reaction score
I should also mention that at 15 PSI off road there is a DRAMATIC increase in ride quality and I feel there is plenty margin of safety that the tire will not come off the bead with the style of driving I am doing. On these stock rims, I could probably get away with below 10 and still not run the risk of popping off the bead. If I were rock-crawling, putting a lot of side load on the tires, I would not want to go too much below 10-15.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I run my 35x12.50s at 30 rear 37 front

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have any issues with the low tire light? What brand and model of tires do you run?
I adjusted the TPMS pressures with the TazerDT. And I went by tread contact patch. 35x12.50x20 Radar Renegade AT-Pro

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i run 40 all around on road.
15-25 offroad.
15 if i'm crawling a lot or anticipating lots of deep sand action. 25 if i'm anticipating lots of high speed desert and whoops. need a bit PSI to make putting power down easier.
20 if it's mixed 50-50

i use Moorflate so I do all 4 tires at the same time, whether it's air up or down.

ChrisID

Reaction score
hmmmm, that's interesting that your door sticker show's that high psi? I wonder why too?
I have a 20, w/off road group which comes with the falken wildpeaks ( i like a lot ), size 275-65-18C and the door says 38-38.
I run 38-34 year round hauling just 2 dirbikes mostly.
I recently did a 1500 mile towing trip with a 5K trailer that had a 700lb tongue weight, I went to 38 rear and kept an eye on it. was good.
I even experimented with weight distribution and none, and did the trip without it, and all was good.
IMO, just experiment in 5psi increments and see how she runs/rides, etc....

ImEngineer

Reaction score
hmmmm, that's interesting that your door sticker show's that high psi? I wonder why too?
I have a 20, w/off road group which comes with the falken wildpeaks ( i like a lot ), size 275-65-18C and the door says 38-38.
I recently did a 1500 mile towing trip with a 5K trailer that had a 700lb tongue weight, I went to 38 rear and kept an eye on it. was good.
I even experimented with weight distribution and none, and did the trip without it, and all was good.
I'm wondering the same thing. Must have something to do with the combination of rim and tire size on the rebels. 55 does seem quite high and it certainly makes the ride noticeably more firm than the 35-40 psi trucks I've ridden in. I need to get some chalk and see what my tread pattern is looking like

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Rebel here, I run 51F/41R on the road, about 21 F&R off-road. We don't have a lot of mud here, it's more hard pack and some sand over hard pack.

21 psi completely removes the washboard road vibrations in these conditions at most speeds.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Rebels have different wheel/tire combo and need the higher pressures. On my 2020 Built to Serve with ORP and Fallen Wild peaks, I ran higher than recommended pressures(on door sticker) because it rode better and showed better tread wear. I think I was 42 front and 37 rear

Users who are viewing this thread