5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What The Fan

Sanders

Reaction score
When I turn my hvac blower on to 6 or 7 the electric engine fan is running all the time. Is this normal for these trucks now? My 13, 14, and 17 engine fans if on where not noticeable. Wondering if I have an hvac charge or pressure switch problem.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is probably normal. In the quest for performance and efficiency, most makers have abandoned the power wasting engine-driven fan, and rely on thermostatic or software controlled electric fans to maintain airflow through the radiator, heat exchanger, etc. When you crank the controls to get lots of A/C, the system adapts to the demand. And this is a truck after all, they probably didn't go to as much trouble to muffle the fans as they might have for a luxury car, for example. Some vehicles with stop/start will also abandon the stop mode at stoplights to keep the A/C compressor running for you.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was told this is a normal function. When you get up to (I think) 38 mph you can hear it switch off or get quieter when the active grill shutters open.

Users who are viewing this thread