5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What spare parts and fluids do you keep in the truck at all times?

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm retired, but worked construction ( sheet metal worker ). Never got a single flat at work. I did watch where I parked, I knew never to park near a carpenter.:)

Ironic that you say that, most of my flats come from driving near new home construction areas which I try to avoid.
Had a 7/16" wrench ruin a tire 2 blocks from my house, heard the clip clop as soon as ran over it and got home to a hiss, no plugging that though

barrak

Reaction score
I'm retired, but worked construction ( sheet metal worker ). Never got a single flat at work. I did watch where I parked, I knew never to park near a carpenter.:)
I once contracted a minor extension for my mountain home. For years later I was finding and picking the odd nail, screw or bolt on my dirt driveway. My tires helped finding some more.

6of36

Reaction score
Ironic that you say that, most of my flats come from driving near new home construction areas which I try to avoid.
Had a 7/16" wrench ruin a tire 2 blocks from my house, heard the clip clop as soon as ran over it and got home to a hiss, no plugging that though
I've seen carpenters open their tail gate and have nails dump out, from having them just laying in the bed.

BowDown

Reaction score
I've seen carpenters open their tail gate and have nails dump out, from having them just laying in the bed.

Yeah I've seen exactly that, I don't get those guys. I walk my dog and find piles of 2" nails on the ground near their trucks and they don't pick them up
Then there's people who do this S just to cause mayhem

Several homemade spikes found on I-20​

by: Luke Whitney
Posted: Jun 16, 2023 / 03:42 PM CDT
Updated: Jun 17, 2023 / 01:03 PM CDT
VAN, Texas (KETK) – The Van Police Department is warning drivers to be careful and aware of homemade spikes being found on Interstate 20.
Van police have responded to several reports of homemade spikes being laid on I-20 between FM 17 and FM 110. The latest spikes were found and reported by a motorist on the westbound side between mile marker 543 and 544.
Officials said this is the third spike found in the last two weeks and luckily no one has reported bodily injuries but their tires have not been so lucky.

Spikes2.png

6of36

Reaction score
Yeah I've seen exactly that, I don't get those guys.
Then there's people who do this S just to cause mayhem

Spikes2.png
They went through way too much trouble. Another one of my jobs was a muffler shop. Just screwing around I made similar using 2 small muffler clamps interlocking, just to see if they would do like the tire spike seen in the movies. Never actually tried any other than to just toss to see how they would land. Every time they would land with a point up. These guys used a lot more effort, and actually used them.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
The M18 compressor wasn't available when I bought mine so the 12 was the only option. Bigger is better so I've looked at upgrading but the M12 does the job and takes up less room so it's a keeper. It also pairs with the M12 Spotlight and 6Ah battery I keep under the back seat.

maxresdefault.jpg

bbb3dc8597c73ea3bf92d5a2be6e4836.jpg

On the subject of nails, we were house #31 in a 250 home development with another 350+ being build in behind us so we endured construction for the entire 4 years we lived there. One of our neighbors would walk the road before he left his house every morning and still picked up 4 nails in his Prius. Meanwhile, we did nothing and never picked up a single nail. Truck vs car tires, plain dumb luck or maybe we just run better tires but I can't remember the last time I have had a flat tire....like more than 15+ years....(Jinx!).

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have 2 6 amp M12 clones, been working fine for over 2 years with many charge cycles.
The M18 knock offs "work" until you get any type of actual torque on the drill or impact. They have been relegated to only being used on my job site fan.

ImEngineer

Reaction score
How does the M12 compressor work? I feel like it would just drink batteries and not be able to air anything up.
I have the M18. It works well in a pinch, but it is quite slow and gets very hot after just one tire, so if you're airing up multiple tires, you should let it cool between tires.
If you air down frequently like I do, then you'll definitely want something different. I use CO2.
If your objective is just to have a pump to top off the tires occasionally or fill after fixing a flat, the M12 or M18 would be just fine.

6of36

Reaction score
The M18 compressor wasn't available when I bought mine so the 12 was the only option. Bigger is better so I've looked at upgrading but the M12 does the job and takes up less room so it's a keeper. It also pairs with the M12 Spotlight and 6Ah battery I keep under the back seat.

View attachment 161490

bbb3dc8597c73ea3bf92d5a2be6e4836.jpg

On the subject of nails, we were house #31 in a 250 home development with another 350+ being build in behind us so we endured construction for the entire 4 years we lived there. One of our neighbors would walk the road before he left his house every morning and still picked up 4 nails in his Prius. Meanwhile, we did nothing and never picked up a single nail. Truck vs car tires, plain dumb luck or maybe we just run better tires but I can't remember the last time I have had a flat tire....like more than 15+ years....(Jinx!).
It's been about 9 hours since your post. Flat tire yet? You definitely jinxed your self.

6of36

Reaction score
I have the M18. It works well in a pinch, but it is quite slow and gets very hot after just one tire, so if you're airing up multiple tires, you should let it cool between tires.
If you air down frequently like I do, then you'll definitely want something different. I use CO2.
If your objective is just to have a pump to top off the tires occasionally or fill after fixing a flat, the M12 or M18 would be just fine.
As an engineer, you should know CO2 is not good to use in tires. It's fine for an emergency fill, but should be replaced with air or nitrogen when possible. CO2 loses pressure it tires faster than air, and if it's mixed with air, the moisture in the air can make carbonic acid. Nitrogen is best, because it is more stable, and won't fluctuate pressure.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
As an engineer, you should know CO2 is not good to use in tires. It's fine for an emergency fill, but should be replaced with air or nitrogen when possible. CO2 loses pressure it tires faster than air, and if it's mixed with air, the moisture in the air can make carbonic acid. Nitrogen is best, because it is more stable, and won't fluctuate pressure.
He's not an engineer.
I think his username is a meme or something, was very apparent on another thread

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Nitrogen. I love it. Yes, I want to start a company selling an exotic gas to fill your tires with. It gives a superior ride while offering "unprecedented" handling characteristics to any tire.

It will be a secret proprietary mix of 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen with a mix of carbon dioxide, argon and other trace gases. A special Injunear from the school downtown where I see the little busses developed the formula.

It should be a hit!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nitrogen. I love it. Yes, I want to start a company selling an exotic gas to fill your tires with. It gives a superior ride while offering "unprecedented" handling characteristics to any tire.

It will be a secret proprietary mix of 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen with a mix of carbon dioxide, argon and other trace gases. A special Injunear from the school downtown where I see the little busses developed the formula.

It should be a hit!
Most places don't charge extra for nitrogen fill anymore. And, if done properly, it is a better option for tire pressure as it doesn't have moisture in it to fluctuate with temps. It's why the military and aviation industry uses nitrogen inflation. But you have to purge the tire, before seating the bead, to remove any "regular" air and moisture/humidity from the tire.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Most places don't charge extra for nitrogen fill anymore. And, if done properly, it is a better option for tire pressure as it doesn't have moisture in it to fluctuate with temps. It's why the military and aviation industry uses nitrogen inflation. But you have to purge the tire, before seating the bead, to remove any "regular" air and moisture/humidity from the tire.
What places are those?
My truck came with regular air in it lol.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What places are those?
My truck came with regular air in it lol.
Most of the places that still offer it. I know Sam's Club does free nitrogen fills but I've never gotten tires from them. There is a local tire place here called Jensen Tire that does as well. most places have stopped using nitrogen though because, as I said, unless you do the proper purge and fill, it really doesn't do anything for you

Users who are viewing this thread