5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Ram model and options to buy to achieve our individual needs?

kirkpark

Reaction score
My wife and I both drive Ford trucks. We are considering trading both for a Ram pick-up, but other than the brand, we can’t seem to agree on anything else. She uses her Ford F350 diesel to pull a small fairly light two-horse gooseneck trailer almost exclusively. I use my F150 mostly as a road car. I get good mileage, a nice drive and comfort. She gets a powerful heavy duty machine. I’m handicapped, so fitting in the garage is important to me both for space around the truck a well as getting into the vehicle. On the other hand, she is probably athletic enough to leap over the truck. Both of our current trucks are 4wd. And the Ram would be as well. We both have second cars. Any suggestions that will get us closer to a solution will be greatly appreciated, (at least by me). Primarily, what I need feedback on is whether a 1500 with a gas engine is
enough truck to provide a satisfactory towing experience, or would we be better served with a 2500 w/diesel for the towing and how much might that compromise the non-towing experience and associated costs for fuel economy etc.?

Last edited:

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum . It really depends on what you like . If you like a luxury interior look at the Limited , it has air ride too so it’ll be easier to get in ad out of .
Laramie with air ride is another option and it would be a few thousand less than a Limited .
‘However you won’t be getting great fuel mileage .

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I both drive Ford trucks. We are considering trading both for a Ram pick-up, but other than the brand, we can’t seem to agree on anything else. She uses her Ford F350 diesel to pull a small fairly light two-horse gooseneck trailer almost exclusively. I use my F150 mostly as a road car. I get good mileage, a nice drive and comfort. She gets a powerful heavy duty machine. I’m handicapped, so fitting in the garage is important to me both for space around the truck a well as getting into the vehicle. On the other hand, she is probably athletic enough to leap over the truck. Both of our current trucks are 4wd. And the Ram would be as well. We both have second cars. Any suggestions that will get us closer to a solution will be greatly appreciated, (at least by me). Primarily, what I need feedback on is whether a 1500 with a gas engine is
enough truck to provide a satisfactory towing experience, or would we be better served with a 2500 w/diesel for the towing and how much might that compromise the non-towing experience and associated costs for fuel economy etc.?
If you are towing a gooseneck trailer, or 5rh wheel, you really need to step up to at least a 2500, which you can get with the 6.4l Hemi is you want a gas engine.

If you are still wanting two trucks, then the 1500 would be perfect for you for a daily driver. Nicest ride in a full size truck. Get the air suspension and it will lower to entry/exit mode to make it easier for you to get in and out, then lift back up when you start the truck.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Honestly, in your situation, I'd probably sell the F-150 and keep the F-350. Any reason you need a half ton?

Users who are viewing this thread