5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What polisher do you use?

Ram1984

Reaction score
I’ve been wanting to get a polisher for the last couple years . I was wondering what you guys are using.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve been wanting to get a polisher for the last couple years . I was wondering what you guys are using.

You can spend 65 on Harbor Freight DA with some great pads, or you could spend hundreds on a Rupes. There are so many options. If you aren't doing a bunch of paint correction for many vehicles go with HF.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use a Griots 6" random orbital. Lifetime warranty.

I used a Porter Cable for several years until it literally sheared off. Scared the crap out of me so I switched. However, it is extremely popular and I'm sure I was one of the very few to have a problem.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I used a Porter Cable for several years until it literally sheared off. Scared the crap out of me so I switched. However, it is extremely popular and I'm sure I was one of the very few to have a problem.
What?! I don't use mine that often, but holy moly.

Do you notice any difference with the Griot's Garage model? I keep some of their products on the shelf, especially Speed Shine.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Do you notice any difference with the Griot's Garage model? I keep some of their products on the shelf, especially Speed Shine.
Yeah I'm just a home user for my vehicles and an occasional friend, so not a power user. But enough to make me switch, even though I knew it was an anomaly. My nonprofessional opinion is the Griot has a bit more power. But similar overall.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Speed Shine is one of my favs too. I just bought some of Griots B.O.S.S. products .

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the AutoSpa 10" from Walmart....works as well as any other I have ever used and is pretty cheap. I also have a Ryobi 6" hand polisher for the small areas. Both of my polishers work fine for waxing. Since I'm not doing any paint correction; I find the cheap ones will do the job.

WasatchBack

Reaction score
I have a Flex 3401 vrg as well as a Flex rotary. I am a power user as I detail part time occasionally. But I would suggest looking at the 3401 if you are very OCD as opposed to a Porter Cable 7424 or similar budget dual action. A light duty polisher will not allow you to perfect a finish even in excellent starting condition.

If you just want something to help apply an AIO product and speed up "waxing" then go ahead with whatever budget DA (dual action) you can find. Just stick with a DA not a rotary.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Harbor Freight's rotary polisher. I don't use it too often, occasionally on the boat and not yet on the Ram. For the price, it can't be beat, I'm on my second but still $$$ ahead.

dsn112

Reaction score
Rupes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Flex 3401 vrg as well as a Flex rotary. I am a power user as I detail part time occasionally. But I would suggest looking at the 3401 if you are very OCD as opposed to a Porter Cable 7424 or similar budget dual action. A light duty polisher will not allow you to perfect a finish even in excellent starting condition.

If you just want something to help apply an AIO product and speed up "waxing" then go ahead with whatever budget DA (dual action) you can find. Just stick with a DA not a rotary.

The Flex is great of course. I would take small exception with the not allow you to perfect a finish with a "light duty polisher." You can achieve a perfect finish with a PC or Griots DA, it will just take you more time than a more powerful one such as the Flex. Just takes a different combo of pad and polish. Obviously you know this as a part time detailer but some other might not. I did a full correction under lights on a 12 year old black Escape with a PC. That finish was absolutely perfect when done, but a Flex would have cut my time in half most likely.

mjharden

Reaction score
I own a mobile auto body paint company in Chesapeake, VA, and we use Dewalt polishers. Obviously you have to know what you’re doing to use them; but with some practice a rotary polisher can’t be beat!

Rich

Reaction score
Flex 3401, it's great and gear driven so you will never stop the dual action which you can do with others. I use it on my boat also. It's not inexpensive, but is a nice tool that does a great job and will last and not fall apart in the middle of a job. This was important to me at the time.

For a rotary, I use a Makita 9227C, but the Flex get's much more use these days.

WasatchBack

Reaction score
The Flex is great of course. I would take small exception with the not allow you to perfect a finish with a "light duty polisher." You can achieve a perfect finish with a PC or Griots DA, it will just take you more time than a more powerful one such as the Flex. Just takes a different combo of pad and polish. Obviously you know this as a part time detailer but some other might not. I did a full correction under lights on a 12 year old black Escape with a PC. That finish was absolutely perfect when done, but a Flex would have cut my time in half most likely.
Absolutely correct, you can achieve perfection with a 7424. But most people will not have enough patience to hit each spot 4-6x before moving on. On a hard clear like Audi and Mercedes, that may be 10-15 rounds x 30 passes per round for paint with minor swirling. I can imagine that would add up to 48 hours of polishing for a full size car....no thanks.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
as a very casual detailer, I picked up the Meguiars DA on a whim since I was tired of my HFreight polisher - I don't think I'd do the whole truck with this, it was good for my sports sedans

https://www.meguiars.com/da-power-system

A question for y'all, what tape are you using (if any) to prep body lines near plastics?

The Rebel's hood has vents/cowls I want to be very careful of, just planning on using light tack blue tape

dsn112

Reaction score
as a very casual detailer, I picked up the Meguiars DA on a whim since I was tired of my HFreight polisher - I don't think I'd do the whole truck with this, it was good for my sports sedans

https://www.meguiars.com/da-power-system

A question for y'all, what tape are you using (if any) to prep body lines near plastics?

The Rebel's hood has vents/cowls I want to be very careful of, just planning on using light tack blue tape

I use a green 3m body work tape from autozone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/