5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What octane gas?

Matt72

Reaction score
New to this forum so thank you to anyone who reads this. Just bought a 2019 Ram 1500 limited 5.7 hemi. Curious what octane gas everyone is running?

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The manual recommends 89 octane, but says 87 is acceptable. I have been running 87 for all 700 miles on my truck without any knocking. 😂

paulmarsh22

Reaction score
You'll find plenty of answers/opinions in those threads, but I've been running 87 in mine for the past 13k miles with no issues. No decrease in mpg either. That being said, I don't ever really tow anything, just mainly highway driving.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome!

Johnny_H

Reaction score
I just had this happen.

91 vs 87 octane towing performance

Lots of guys (including myself) just go with Costco premium because it’s cheaper than most mid grade, and still top tier. I don’t find a huge difference between 89 and 91, but my truck definitely feels weaker and has worse mileage with 87. This is very apparent with towing or hard driving, less so just bumbling around town.

I’ve run three tanks now at various times with 87 when mid or premium wasn’t available, and interestingly the truck seems to almost instantly adjust performance, while it seems to take around half a tank for the truck to “recover” once I put better gas back in.

This is of course based on no data just how the truck feels and me casually observing mileage. I will say I’ve had similar experiences with my RS5 and then actually proved it with draggy data, but I don’t care that much about my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Been running 87 since day 1. A ton of knocking at WOT but I don't give a sheep...

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum . I run either 91 or 89 depending on what I'm going to do with it .

Matt72

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your input and to this forum. I’m going to continue to run 89 and try to keep this motor happy for a long time

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The HEMI is 10.5:1 compression ratio. 89 octane fuel is recommended for optimum performance and fuel economy by Mopar.

1628513294098.png

Users who are viewing this thread