5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What octane are we using?

What octane are we using?

• 91/93+

Results are only viewable after voting.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I beg to differ, it was a simple question, "What octane are you using? Not why, not because I race, no explanation needed. Just saying it hard to find direct answers in these threads when PM's or DM's should be used instead of an open dialog high jacking a thread and not even addressing the thread starter. Either way, "unwatched" View attachment 154302 .

If I'm at 10k elevation in CO, my reasons for using a specific octane number will be different than yours. If I tow, my reasons will be different than yours. Understanding the why allows for the answer to make sense rather than simply doing what someone else is doing.

I use 93 because I have seen it increase my mileage by one to one and a half miles per gallon. Other people claim that's BS and don't use it yet those same people also complain about not getting the the window stickers fuel mileage estimates.
Understanding how octane works is why I use 93 so yes, understanding does provide some insight to the question.

If you understand how octane works relative to ignition timing, air temperature and engine load, you can make a better decision on which one you should be using for instance, if I was in a cold environment, I would not use 93, there'd be no need. Why?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I beg to differ, it was a simple question, "What octane are you using? Not why, not because I race, no explanation needed. Just saying it hard to find direct answers in these threads when PM's or DM's should be used instead of an open dialog high jacking a thread and not even addressing the thread starter. Either way, "unwatched" View attachment 154302 .
Understanding the why people use the octane they do, should most definitely be part of the discussion. There shouldn't be a "direct" answer because it should vary. The discussion stayed in topic about fuel and octane and was good for anyone who actually cares why there are different octane levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online