5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What mode is suggested for Launching / Retrieving Boat from Boat Ramp

Capt Joe

Reaction score
Hi All, as the weather warms up and I'm getting into boating season with the new RAM, I was wondering what mode do you all feel is suggested to Launch / Retrieve the boat at the boat ramp. My gut tells me 4WD Hi, but I'm torn between 4WD HI and 4WD LO. Do you also keep TOW / HAUL on during launch / recovery. Any thoughts will be appreciated. I have a Limited...no e locker
Thanks...

wwalljr

Reaction score
Kinda depends on the size of boat and ramp conditions, incline, etc. I use 4hi if need be on a steep ramp if it has a lot of sand on it. But normally in 2wd. I have a 21’ sport boat with a Chevy v8 I/O.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s always a good idea to use 4wd if you have it. Some of those ramps can get very slippery, you don’t want to be that guy that is featured on YouTube “Boat Fails”.

As for low / high, unless you’re pulling a large and heavy boat, I just don’t see the need for low. Tow/Haul isn’t going to do anything for you in that situation, it is for higher shift points so your transmission isn’t searching for gears as much while towing.

TimG

Reaction score
Exactly what Troutspinner said.... Biggest thing to remember is to keep your front tires as dry as possible. On some of those slick ramps, once the fronts are wet, its game over. I've personally watched many really nice rigs end up in the drink from sliding down the ramp. Especially if its a coastal/brackish area.

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
I am anxious to see how the Ram pulls our 26' boat out of the water. When I had my 2003 1500HD Silverado, I had to use 4wd occasionally as the rear tires would "hop" a bit. The tires were practically new as well. With my 2500 Suburban I could keep it in 2WD without any issues. Obviously the Suburban had more weight over the rear end though.

The only thing I will probably engage in the Ram will be the rear axle since it's the E-Locker. Outside of that, unless I absolutely need 4wd, I won't engage anything else.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I was boating, I always put the truck in 4wd (launching and retrieving). As soon as the truck was clear I would put it back in 2wd before I started turning so I wouldn't wind up the drive train on dry pavement.

Users who are viewing this thread