5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What kind of oil does the dealer use?

Airsickace

Reaction score
I want to change my own oil and keep it consistent with what the dealer is using. I know I've seen before it's some sort of synthetic blend, but is it possible to buy that and is it cost effective? Or is there an alternative that you know of?

I used another type of the same weight but I noticed more ticking and even dry starts, so I went back to the dealer and it seems to be gone with their oil.

2019 RAM 1500 5.7L V8

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Look in your owners manual and see what that says to use. The dealer told my my 21 BTS uses full synthetic oil but my owners manual doesn't say it it uses synthetic. It shows it uses conventional 5/20. The oil cap even says 5/20. I use Napa 5/20 "blend".

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I want to change my own oil and keep it consistent with what the dealer is using. I know I've seen before it's some sort of synthetic blend, but is it possible to buy that and is it cost effective? Or is there an alternative that you know of?

I used another type of the same weight but I noticed more ticking and even dry starts, so I went back to the dealer and it seems to be gone with their oil.

2019 RAM 1500 5.7L V8
page 464

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
2019 manual as per #3 post "may use synthetic engine oils" while the 2022 manual I believe it states to use synthetic and I believe it changed from 5-20 to 0-20. There is a thread where this is discussed but I do not know the title.

Below is some additional info.

I don't remember if it says to use synthetic, but it's defiantly 0-20 not 5-20.

The OP has a 19 though, so I think it might still be 5-20.

Mobile 1 full syn 0w-20 works great for me, no ticking. Also cheap, able to get 6 quarts for $24 +tax.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
from page 464 for 2019

"Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade) — 5.7L Engine Mopar SAE 5W-20 engine oil approved to FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix or equivalent is recommended for all operating temperatures. This engine oil improves low temperature starting and vehicle fuel economy."

"Synthetic Engine Oils
You may use synthetic engine oils provided the recommended oil quality requirements are met, and the recommended maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes are followed."

2019 seems to be a stand alone

however one should check with their dealer to see what they are using if you took it there

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I knownits made, but good luck finding a 5w-20 that isn't at least a synthetic blend at pretty much any store. Use a good synthetic 5w-20 that meets Chrysler specs. As far as what the dealer uses it varies by delaership. All CDJR dealers are independently owned.

TSL

Reaction score
What kind of oil does the dealer use ? As long as it's "brown and slippery", anything goes ! At least according to this guy :
( he is talking about Toyotas, not Ram's by the way )
It's a 45 min video of an engine tear down and short block replacement. Guy's theory is that even though Toyota says 10k oil change interval you should never mind that and do 5k or 6 months which ever comes first and that's it cheap insurance if you plan to keep the vehicle a long time, Especially since the dealership uses the cheapest oil they can get their hands on that meets the spec for the engine - Or so he claims anyway, ( the context of the 'brown and slippery' remark he makes early in the video ! )
There may be some truth to it, who knows. I will say that with my '07 Subaru Outback I gradually lost all confidence in the local dealership to do anything right ( one time they forgot to put the plastic cover / fascia back over the top of the engine, which I didn't discover till a few days later when I went under the hood for something, top off the washer fluid maybe. Went back to them and they found it "out back somewhere" !! When you catch them in those sorts of basic attention to detail things you then start wondering about where else they cut corners that you don't see. )

OrtnerSkore

Reaction score
Just sharing some info.

Are They All The Same Motor Oil? Let's Settle This! Four Levels of Pennzoil Motor Oil Compared​

Is AmazonBasics Full Synthetic Motor Oil better than Mobil 1? Let's find out!​

Is Castrol Motor Oil better than Kendall? Let's find out!​

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pretty sure dealers buy bulk, so they probably get whatever the supplier sends them and even though it is an economy of scale they aren't springing for the good stuff.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What kind of oil does the dealer use ? As long as it's "brown and slippery", anything goes ! At least according to this guy :
( he is talking about Toyotas, not Ram's by the way )
It's a 45 min video of an engine tear down and short block replacement. Guy's theory is that even though Toyota says 10k oil change interval you should never mind that and do 5k or 6 months which ever comes first and that's it cheap insurance if you plan to keep the vehicle a long time, Especially since the dealership uses the cheapest oil they can get their hands on that meets the spec for the engine - Or so he claims anyway, ( the context of the 'brown and slippery' remark he makes early in the video ! )
There may be some truth to it, who knows. I will say that with my '07 Subaru Outback I gradually lost all confidence in the local dealership to do anything right ( one time they forgot to put the plastic cover / fascia back over the top of the engine, which I didn't discover till a few days later when I went under the hood for something, top off the washer fluid maybe. Went back to them and they found it "out back somewhere" !! When you catch them in those sorts of basic attention to detail things you then start wondering about where else they cut corners that you don't see. )

Both my RAM and Toyota dealers use full synthetics. Neither of them offer a non-synthetic oil change for my RAM or our C-HR.

Though I think it's based on dealer to dealer, I watch that guys page all the time on Youtube, I think he is based somewhere in the mid-west. Good guy, good advice.

His no to 10,000 mile service has to do with the gunk that slowly develops around the rings on 4-cylinder Toyota engines, that doesn't cause them to fail but consume too much oil as the engine ages. Not sure if those apply to non-Toyota engines, but 5,000 miles seems like good advice to me regardless of what motor you have.

Users who are viewing this thread