5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is up with the brittle glass?

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
So this literally just happened. Currently 11C out. Was parked outside at work with all the windows slightly down and the sliding window open. Sun wasn't even facing this side when I left work. Got in, no AC, just cool air set at 4. Did a quick errand (10mins) then parked at home where it sits now. Reached over to grab things out of the passenger seat, then boom. Like someone took a baseball bat to it. HOW?! WTF RAM? What is with the flimsy glass? The worst part is, this is going to be out of pocket because no way RAM would cover something like this under warranty, but they should. First the windshield is paper thin (got that replaced and not a scratch since), but now I have to worry about all my windows blowing up randomly?! This is so frustrating. Just venting. That is all.

IMG_20210617_1545093.jpg

Kaderast

Reaction score
Wow! Never really even heard of that happening. Bummer. If it makes you feel any better, I really love the color of your Ram!

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Had the same thing happen on my rear window... ram claimed impact damage even though there was no evidence of any impact. Glass warranty is one of the hardest claims.

El Toro Blanco

Reaction score
You sure there's not a pellet, rock, BB, or something in the back seat area?
Did that door get slammed with that window part way down?
Did you accidentally hit it with whatever you were getting out of the back seat?
Any of these could easily cause this to happen to a partially rolled down window.

Years ago I busted a'77 Honda window slamming a door with the window partially down. I have a friend who lost a window from a pellet gun. I also remember a guy in Highschool who threw a very small rock at his own '55 Chevy pickup when it died on the road...lost his large touring rear window.

Ickabod

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me a week ago. Went to lunch and when we came back to the truck, it was shattered (no impact points). Definitely an issue...

20210610_133849-window.jpg

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Remember those exploding sunroofs a while back? I don't think it was FCA but I wonder if it's a similar cause? Certainly wasn't heat related if it was only 11C.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let’s talk about the cheap *** windshields too! Be carefully if an overweight bumblebee hits the windshield on the 5th Gen as they crack much easier and faster than the 4th gens. We’ve replaced three windshields thus far and don’t live in gravel country.

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Had the same thing happen on my rear window... ram claimed impact damage even though there was no evidence of any impact. Glass warranty is one of the hardest claims.
Yeah I figured. I literally commented on another members post about this exact thing happening on the pano roof. Took note it was a possibility, but did not expect the side windows to be vulnerable to this. Could you imagine driving and this happening?! That's a lawsuit waiting to happen. The chances of a recall after that only go up what, .0001%? This is such a joke.

You sure there's not a pellet, rock, BB, or something in the back seat area?
Did that door get slammed with that window part way down?
Did you accidentally hit it with whatever you were getting out of the back seat?
Any of these could easily cause this to happen to a partially rolled down window.

Years ago I busted a'77 Honda window slamming a door with the window partially down. I have a friend who lost a window from a pellet gun. I also remember a guy in Highschool who threw a very small rock at his own '55 Chevy pickup when it died on the road...lost his large touring rear window.
Absolutely, without a doubt, no impact whatsoever. Back seats are clear except my gym bag. Happened while I was still in the truck, literally just reached over to the passenger seat then explosion. Clear driveway and mostly clear skies.

Same thing happened to me a week ago. Went to lunch and when we came back to the truck, it was shattered (no impact points). Definitely an issue...

View attachment 97122
Well S#!T. Sorry it happened to you too but glad I'm not alone. Also glad to see you don't have the mopar vent shades, at least that rules out one of my guesses as to what might've caused/contributed to it. A part of me wishes we could get a group of us together to file a complaint but it's going to fall on deaf ears anyways, so what's the point really.

Let’s talk about the cheap *** windshields too! Be carefully if an overweight bumblebee hits the windshield on the 5th Gen as they crack much easier and faster than the 4th gens. We’ve replaced three windshields thus far and don’t live in gravel country.
Replaced mine about a month ago too. Made a post in a thread talking about how a giant crack literally appeared out of nowhere and grew slowly but steadily in front of my eyes from one side to the other, right as I was about to wipe the inside down (hadn't even touched it yet). When I was getting my windshield replaced one of the installers joked about how it was "RAM day, every day" Asked to expand on that he goes on to explain how they haven't had a week since the 5th Gens came out where they didn't replace a factory windshield. Even if that's an exaggeration, what does that say that these trucks are a joke to glass installers? It's definitely a trend.

Users who are viewing this thread