5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this white stuff under the dash?

frankd

Reaction score
So I took the floor mats out to clean them and vacuum and when I was putting them back I bumped something under the dash and some white stuff started falling from under the dash. It reminded me of snow or flying ash from a fire. At first I thought it was ice (even though it's like 90 degrees out) because it seemed to melt into a clear liquid when I touched it. But it seems more like a grease of some sort because its slippery and left marks/stains on the mats. My guess is some sort of lithium grease? Just curious if anyone knows what it is and where it came from. Seems like it might be coming from that grommet in the firewall?
It happened first thing in the morning when I was cleaning my truck. It hadnt been started for at least 12 hours. Also, a couple of days prior I took it in for an oil change and 2 recalls (one for the adjustable pedals and another for something else- cant remember).

Attachments

• Ram1.jpg
    Ram1.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 187
  • Ram2.jpg
    Ram2.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 187

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I took the floor mats out to clean them and vacuum and when I was putting them back I bumped something under the dash and some white stuff started falling from under the dash. It reminded me of snow or flying ash from a fire. At first I thought it was ice (even though it's like 90 degrees out) because it seemed to melt into a clear liquid when I touched it. But it seems more like a grease of some sort because its slippery and left marks/stains on the mats. My guess is some sort of lithium grease? Just curious if anyone knows what it is and where it came from. Seems like it might be coming from that grommet in the firewall?
It happened first thing in the morning when I was cleaning my truck. It hadnt been started for at least 12 hours. Also, a couple of days prior I took it in for an oil change and 2 recalls (one for the adjustable pedals and another for something else- cant remember).

Sorry, I can't even think of something funny. Flaky grease is a new one.

Neokane

Reaction score
Looks like paint off of the firewall plug.. but just guessing.

SSN765

Reaction score
It is dried assembly lube for the rubber grommets thru the firewall. Appears to be white flakes that are oily or greasy. Used to use the same type of lube in the navy and it dries up but will flake off if disturbed
Had some under the driver's footwell after the brake recall work.

frankd

Reaction score
It is dried assembly lube for the rubber grommets thru the firewall. Appears to be white flakes that are oily or greasy. Used to use the same type of lube in the navy and it dries up but will flake off if disturbed
Had some under the driver's footwell after the brake recall work.

Thanks! I knew it was some sort of lube. Just seemed strange because It seemed like it was coming from other spots as well as the grommet. And each time I banged on the underside of the dash more came out.

Users who are viewing this thread