5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this part?

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As the title says, what is this part? The black cylinder with the green mark on it.

20201116_145017.jpg

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's called the Integrated Control Unit (ICU). It is used to store extra fluid released from the calipers during ABS mode operation. It uses a DC operated pump to clear the brake accumulator of brake fluid for proper ABS function. It also includes valves to modulate brake pressure during anti-lock braking, Brake Traction Control, and Electronic Stability on each wheel individually without any driver brake input.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 042884 miles.

Tom488

Reaction score
It's called the Integrated Control Unit (ICU). It is used to store extra fluid released from the calipers during ABS mode operation. It uses a DC operated pump to clear the brake accumulator of brake fluid for proper ABS function. It also includes valves to modulate brake pressure during anti-lock braking, Brake Traction Control, and Electronic Stability on each wheel individually without any driver brake input.
Isn't the ICU up by the master cylinder? OPs picture sure looks like the vacuum pump to me. This is the service manual's photo:

1605582134979.png

That's the oil dipstick handle (yellow) at the very top of the factory picture.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Isn't the ICU up by the master cylinder? OPs picture sure looks like the vacuum pump to me. This is the service manual's photo:

View attachment 74203

That's the oil dipstick handle (yellow) at the very top of the factory picture.
If you go to Brakes, ABS, Description, in the DT service manual the green highlighted item 1 is in the approximate location of the front, left side of the engine. The text in the description does say it's located near the master cylinder. My copy of the service manual is missing all four figures which might explain some confusion, but I don't see a reference to a "vacuum pump."

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 042884 miles.

Tom488

Reaction score
Under Brakes, Base, Description, Description and Operation - component #7 is the Electric Vacuum Pump. Under Operation, it says, "The base brake system uses an electric vacuum pump for additional vacuum supply".

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Under Brakes, Base, Description, Description and Operation - component #7 is the Electric Vacuum Pump. Under Operation, it says, "The base brake system uses an electric vacuum pump for additional vacuum supply".
I agree. I see it and in the diagram you noted the device under question appears to be graphically represented. I was not looking at the Brakes Base, obviously. Now I'm not sure why they split the brake components up into two separate sections.

Sorry for any confusion.

Best regards,
Dusty

Jwhitty27

Reaction score
Jumping on this thread because I have a question regarding this vacuum pump.

When i push and release the brake pedal it sounds like the vacuum pump either bleeds off extra vacuum or has a leak. Is it normal for this vacuum pump to make a noise after releasing the brake pedal. Have any of you noticed this on your trucks while parked?

One person posted about this around a year ago but there wasn't any follow-up on the thread.

Previous post: 2020 Ram 1500 Rebel hissing noise from seems to be vacuum booster

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When you release the brake pedal, the vacuum in the booster is dumped into the atmosphere, so you may hear a hiss or whoosh. If the hiss continues when you are not doing anything, you may have a leak.

Jwhitty27

Reaction score
When you release the brake pedal, the vacuum in the booster is dumped into the atmosphere, so you may hear a hiss or whoosh. If the hiss continues when you are not doing anything, you may have a leak.
The hiss only lasts maybe 1-2 seconds at most and comes from the vacuum pump and not the brake booster (climbed in the engine bay while my gf hit the brakes). I must have never noticed it in the last three years of owning the truck.

rambo57bts

Reaction score
I'll jump in on this as well. So this truck makes weird hissing sound as well. I'll pull into a parking space, put it in park and let off the brake pedal. Then like you said, there's about a 2 to 3 second sound that originates from under the hood area - like a hissing or like that of a hydraulic moving fluid through a hose. It's repeatable. The brakes and electric parking brake work just fine. Brake fluid level fine and no leaks. Thanks for those who posted pics of the electric vacuum pump and it's description. I suppose that's where the noise is from.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online