5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what is the weight capacity for our tailgates?

ramhouston

Reaction score
I have thought about loading some really heavy stuff via a ramp but just for safety wanted to know how much weight our tailgates can handle up to before they give out? TIA!

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can't say for sure, but I've put 400-450 pounds of stone on it while loading from cart to bed and then out of the bed again. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that much weight sitting on the tailgate while driving, but it didn't budge while having that much on it.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This has been asked before, but I don't think anyone had an official answer. I know several members load bikes and ATVs using the tailgate with no issues. We had 4 large guys on mine with no issues, probably close to 800 lbs.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
"When vehicle is moving do not exceed 150 lbs. (69 kg) load on tailgate", from page 100 of the "Essential Information Guide" contained in my glove compartment.
Posted Nov 30, 2018

CYA weight vs reality?

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For us single guys, here's what I came up with for the sitting on the tailgate component:
I once took a lady interest out for ice-cream, and I'm about 225ish, she's tall for a lady and has H I P S (and they were fantastic :p).
I said I didn't know how strong the tailgate was, but together we were probably 385ish or more, and as a result probably shouldn't sit on the tailgate.

So I'd move the rambox bed divider up, got 2 outdoor couch cushions, and made a seat.
We had to get more cozy but, we didn't mind. 😎

Photo of my Gen 1 rebel:
OldRebelCushions.png

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"When vehicle is moving do not exceed 150 lbs. (69 kg) load on tailgate", from page 100 of the "Essential Information Guide" contained in my glove compartment.
Posted Nov 30, 2018

CYA weight vs reality?
Definitely CYA. I moved an entire deck load of 16 foot 2x8s and deck boards, and while I'm sure my hitch extender took some weight off the tailgate there's no way it was less than several hundred pounds.

That said, I wouldn't stack a ton of rock on it and expect the cables to hold. But I think if the load is distributed between the bed and the tailgate you should be fine. If not, how could anyone ever put anything in the bed that couldn't be lifted like a motorcycle or atv?

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For us single guys, here's what I came up with for the sitting on the tailgate component:
I once took a lady interest out for ice-cream, and I'm about 225ish, she's tall for a lady and has H I P S (and they were fantastic :p).
I said I didn't know how strong the tailgate was, but together we were probably 385ish or more, and as a result probably shouldn't sit on the tailgate.

So I'd move the rambox bed divider up, got 2 outdoor couch cushions, and made a seat.
We had to get more cozy but, we didn't mind. 😎

Photo of my Gen 1 rebel:
View attachment 107184
How big were those hips exactly? Asking for a friend...

ram-3500-1906.jpg

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have thought about loading some really heavy stuff via a ramp but just for safety wanted to know how much weight our tailgates can handle up to before they give out? TIA!
So the advertised weight the MFT can support is 2000 pounds. I would imagine that the standard tailgate is rated the same. I'm pretty sure the 150 pound limit mentioned in the Essential Information Guide is referring to what it will support when closed (without crushing). At least that's my interpretation of it.
Tailgate weight rating 2.JPG
T

Xhumeka

Reaction score
So the advertised weight the MFT can support is 2000 pounds. I would imagine that the standard tailgate is rated the same. I'm pretty sure the 150 pound limit mentioned in the Essential Information Guide is referring to what it will support when closed (without crushing). At least that's my interpretation of it.
I was going to post the same thing - "Head of RAM Brand North America" Jim Morrison stated 2,000lbs when the MFT was first debuted (18 second mark of below video):

Users who are viewing this thread