5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the pipe between catalytic converter and muffler?

vadedram

Reaction score
Hello,

I just got done installing the Flowmaster Outlaw catback system (817936) on my 2019 Rebel. So stock there are the cat that connect to a straight pipe that has a small bulge in it that then connects to the muffler. This Flowmaster system removes both that pipe with the small bulge and the muffler (and of course anything else all the way back).

I actually didnt remove that straight pipe with the small bulge in it because it would have required dealing with nuts and studs that would have broken and then stud removal. A pain I didnt want to go through. So with this Flowmaster kit they provide an extension pipe for crew cabs (mine is quad). I ended up just cutting between the small bulge and the muffler. Used the extension pipe, and everything worked out nicely.

My question is what is the pipe with the bulge. It literally looks just like the high flow cat I put on my VW GLI, but it isnt a cat. So what is it. Some other resonator?

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s a resonator. Designed to reduce drone in the cab. I’m pretty sure the ‘21 I just got doesn’t have it, but the ‘20 I traded in did and I just left it there.

vadedram

Reaction score
Not worth touching then. This system already gets rid of the back resonators and swaps in a muffler that looks like it barely does anything. haha.

Users who are viewing this thread