5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the deal with the 5"?

Aporter96

Reaction score
I just bought a 2020 ram 1500 quad cab 5.7L and it has the 5" radio that i was thinking would be easily replaceable. But i cant find anything online and now i just searched crutchfield and it said that the radio cannot be replaced? Is the head unit really not replaceable? Surely there is a way.

Attachments

• 08FAF047-1876-462D-B544-53DA94155C22.png
    08FAF047-1876-462D-B544-53DA94155C22.png
    108.4 KB · Views: 5

Aporter96

Reaction score
Yea nothing on there at all. My question is why does it say the 5 inch display cannot be replaced? I dont have the 8.4 or the 12 that is all that is on the site you linked.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Going from memory, the 5" is a very basic radio and information center package with manual heat controls. The 8.4" adds climate control, nav and camera capabilities, internet wifi bluetooth, and bigger screen. So I suppose if someone wanted to swap out the HVAC system and add the temp sensors, computer bits, and associated wiring and reflash the truck's computer so that it will use those parts (and whatever I overlooked), it might be theoretically possible to upgrade. Long way to go.

I don't remember if the 5" has an aux input, if so you can plug third party stuff into that and find somewhere to mount it.

I remember a day when you could buy a dash conversion kit and mount a really awesome aftermarket sound system, but all the makers these days seem to be going out of their way to prevent that and force you to buy their own proprietary stuff, which is usually pretty crappy.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 5" does have aux input. It has Sirius as well. You can play any app off your phone, and I think even stopped, video. I don't think it will display maps apps tho, only spoken directions, but I've never tried, might have try it sometime. It also is hands free phone call use. It also displays adequately the back up cam for mandated safety, and with zoom for trailer ball hitching. 2 button strokes gets rear cam for pulling thru parking spots as well. 1500 Tradesman and a lot of HDs use this radio.

Users who are viewing this thread