5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the best way to protect plastic trim?

Justinjla

Reaction score
I'm not interested in shine, I'm interested in keeping it from fading over time. What is the best thing to use and how often should I use it? Thanks in advance!

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve been using chemical guys VRP protectant on my external plastics, it leaves a bit of a shine but nothing to crazy. A bit slippery on my running boards, but otherwise no issues with dirt being attracted to it.

303 aerospace protectant is another common one I’ve heard lots of good things about. No first hand experience with it tho.

I apply the VRP 3-4 times per year when I’m doing a full detail.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been using chemical guys VRP protectant on my external plastics, it leaves a bit of a shine but nothing to crazy. A bit slippery on my running boards, but otherwise no issues with dirt being attracted to it.

303 aerospace protectant is another common one I’ve heard lots of good things about. No first hand experience with it tho.

I apply the VRP 3-4 times per year when I’m doing a full detail.
Love it when the correct answer is posted right off the bat.

I use VRP and 303 and both are great products that don't add a ton of gloss.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I ceramic coat mine, usually with Q2 Trim. On older already faded trim, I use Gtechniq C4. If I don’t feel like diy’ing it, I’ll pay my detailer to apply SystemX trim.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I use 303 Aerospace, but to be honest, Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Quick Wax is designed to work on plastic and paint, and since it's one product I can spray on the whole exterior, it's the one I mainly use now.

Its meant for paint primarily as a quick wax, but designed to protect rubber and exterior plastics too. The only difference is I buff and remove it off the paint, but just apply it to plastics and rubber.

Islander

Reaction score
On matte trim and rubber I use Adam's VRT and seems to protect and works well for me...on everything else (paint, glass, chrome and shiny plastic trim) I find 303 Graphene Nano Spray works nicely too

Mopar4u

Reaction score
I use 303 Aerospace, but to be honest, Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Quick Wax is designed to work on plastic and paint, and since it's one product I can spray on the whole exterior, it's the one I mainly use now.

Its meant for paint primarily as a quick wax, but designed to protect rubber and exterior plastics too. The only difference is I buff and remove it off the paint, but just apply it to plastics and rubber.
How long has the turtle wax ceramic lasted for you?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How long has the turtle wax ceramic lasted for you?

Quite a while, my truck is too big for the garage, so it sits under a carport, however is exposed to the elements on most sides and gets really dirty really quick. Factor in that I'm afraid of automatic car washes (worried of damaging the shark fin antenna & causes a water leak) and I'm lazy means that it's about 2 months between washes.

Every time I've washed it, it beads ups great. I went 4 months without reapplying and it still beaded up very well, I probably could have gone longer, but since it only takes 15 minutes to spray wax the truck, I did it anyways.

If you want it to last, make sure you use the right car wash shampoo, one that is ph balanced and not so strong that it will remove wax.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll third the ceramic coating. It makes all black trim, extremely black. And since you don't wax the truck after applying ceramic coating, you don't need to worry about the trim getting wax on it either.

Look at how black the rear bumper and RAM letters are.
Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 7.37.40 PM.png

Reactions: c3k

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen a 'trim test' i have been using turtle wax hybrid for a year now, but I am not sure if it is any better than adams or 'xxx'

Users who are viewing this thread