5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is needed to regear front of half ton

Guitarking135

Reaction score
I’ve been searching all over the internet for a complete list of parts how to’s or really any good solid information on regearing the front of the new style half ton rams. I have 3.21 and I didn’t realize when I got the truck how gutless it is towing and how poor the fuel economy is while towing. I’m assuming it’s cheaper to swap gears than upgrade to a 3/4 ton. I know the front gears are welded. Is it as simple as finding a donor diff/carrier or is there more to it?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been searching all over the internet for a complete list of parts how to’s or really any good solid information on regearing the front of the new style half ton rams. I have 3.21 and I didn’t realize when I got the truck how gutless it is towing and how poor the fuel economy is while towing. I’m assuming it’s cheaper to swap gears than upgrade to a 3/4 ton. I know the front gears are welded. Is it as simple as finding a donor diff/carrier or is there more to it?
Will need whole new front differential. Your only other options will be 3.55 or 3.92. probably best to try and find one from a salvage yard.

Guitarking135

Reaction score
So a 3.92 diff out of a 2019+ is it for the front? Or does the interchangeability go back farther

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You cannot just regear the front and leave the rear untouched. Ratio has to match.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You cannot just regear the front and leave the rear untouched. Ratio has to match.
Pretty sure he understands that, but you can't just "regear" the front. You have to replace the entire differential. The rear you can just buy new gear set and swap it out.

Guitarking135

Reaction score
Pretty sure he understands that, but you can't just "regear" the front. You have to replace the entire differential. The rear you can just buy new gear set and swap it out.
I’m just wanting to make sure I buy the right differential is all. I also want to make sure there isn’t other things needed. Aside from a taser stop to change the gear ratio in the computer.

Users who are viewing this thread