5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is Known about the Bed Utility Group Options

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Ix-nay on the cone nut idea. Perhaps if you take the end caps off (looked like more than a simple job). The channel width is too narrow for the base of of the cone nut.

View attachment 27346 View attachment 27346

View attachment 27347 View attachment 27347
Dang that sucks, thanks for trying. What size channel cone nut is that? I know they make a few different sizes (3/8, 1/4). I think I measured the channel width as .75" so I thought anything smaller than that might work..

ClancyO

Reaction score
1/4 inch thread size. The back plate of the cone nut is ~13/16 x 1 3/8 x 5/16". I had these because I'd used them on the Titan - they fit perfectly there. I still like the rails - I've already has a need for them so i might still pull the trigger. But their usefulness is compromised (in my view) since I can't use the cone nuts..

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
1/4 inch thread size. The back plate of the cone nut is ~13/16 x 1 3/8 x 5/16". I had these because I'd used them on the Titan - they fit perfectly there. I still like the rails - I've already has a need for them so i might still pull the trigger. But their usefulness is compromised (in my view) since I can't use the cone nuts..
Maybe a smaller channel nut might work? I see on the unistrut website they have channel nuts that fit 1 5/8" framing, 1 1/4" framing, and 13/16" framing. Perhaps the 1 1/4" or 13/16" may work...? https://www.unistrut.us/product-details/p6006

ClancyO

Reaction score
Maybe a smaller channel nut might work? I see on the unistrut website they have channel nuts that fit 1 5/8" framing, 1 1/4" framing, and 13/16" framing. Perhaps the 1 1/4" or 13/16" may work...? https://www.unistrut.us/product-details/p6006

Yeah - didn't realize they came in multiple sizes - I've only ever seen the 'one' - I'm guessing it was the standard for 1 5/8 unistrut as the backplate was definitely 13/16" (I measured by eye a simple ruler - calipers may have put it closer to 22/32") and that would make sense in a 7/8" channel (I'm not an electrician, but I did stay in a holiday Inn express last night). My dealer has several truck with the BUG, so perhaps a quick stop by fastenal before my next visit might yield some positive news. I've got an appt next week (warranty work - rear door window off its track - first issue/problem). All of this would be good news because I really want the rails, but I definitely want to know I can use cone nuts to attach stuff...

In my old truck I had fork mounts for bicycles, strut mounts for the hard tonneau, cut down ski racks for fishing rods, and my custom 'franken radio' (amp in a box, with volume and inputs for ipod/sat radio with speaker outs for speakers on the tonneau.) Very handy/cool tailgate setup!!

27450 FADCC75C-E0CA-4EFB-BC33-75C493273B9E.jpeg

Last edited:

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Yeah - didn't realize they came in multiple sizes - I've only ever seen the 'one' - I'm guessing it was the standard for 1 5/8 unistrut as the backplate was definitely 13/16" (I measured by eye a simple ruler - calipers may have put it closer to 22/32") and that would make sense in a 7/8" channel (I'm not an electrician, but I did stay in a holiday Inn express last night). My dealer has several truck with the BUG, so perhaps a quick stop by fastenal before my next visit might yield some positive news. I've got an appt next week (warranty work - rear door window off its track - first issue/problem). All of this would be good news because I really want the rails, but I definitely want to know I can use cone nuts to attach stuff...

In my old truck I had fork mounts for bicycles, strut mounts for the hard tonneau, cut down ski racks for fishing rods, and my custom 'franken radio' (amp in a box, with volume and inputs for ipod/sat radio with speaker outs for speakers on the tonneau.) Very handy/cool tailgate setup!!

View attachment 27450 View attachment 27450
View attachment 27453
Wow that is an awesome tailgate setup! I am very interested in the channel nuts to engineer some sort of mount for my bicycles. The main issue I have is that with the Lomax tonneau cover I have, it utilizes an extra set of rails that sit on top of the BUG rails that are flush with the top of the bed. I started a thread called "bicycle hauling" related to it. I would like to engineer an attachment from the BUG rails that will keep the bikes upright but hold them about 4-5" inches away from the top of the bed side in order for them to not lean against the tonneau cover rails. I was thinking a couple channel nuts and a 5" eye bolt with a strap through the eye bolt to my frame might work. Ideally I would not remove the front wheel for a fork mount but maybe that is a better option... If you have any pictures handy of your old fork mount setup, that would be awesome to check out! Good luck with your rear door window repair.

ClancyO

Reaction score
With the titan there was a rail running along the front of the box. In the second picture, way up front you can see the yakima fork mounts (tonneau had to come off - and it did easily) . Since the BUG only runs down the sides, and I'd rather the bikes were oriented north/south, I'm thinking some sort of crossbar that spans the front and holds the fork mounts there. I had created something similar for the truck before the titan - it attached to the tiedown anchors and was made from an old truck bed rail. So, just some box aluminium, with some triangulated plates that would be attached to the bug rails and then you can put all kinds of mounts on that. It might take me a while, but I'll build something similar for this truck..

HMC8403

Reaction score
Was hauling some stuff today with my 3 day old truck, went to use the extender and found the pins missing. Just got home and found this thread. My window sticker shows Bed Utility Group (4 adjustable tie-down hooks) $545, no step mentioned or installed

The thread is 11 pages long so I'm asking: Is it easy to buy the missing extender pins and install? for the price paid, am I missing something that I should contact FCA for? THANKS!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Was hauling some stuff today with my 3 day old truck, went to use the extender and found the pins missing. Just got home and found this thread. My window sticker shows Bed Utility Group (4 adjustable tie-down hooks) $545, no step mentioned or installed

The thread is 11 pages long so I'm asking: Is it easy to buy the missing extender pins and install? for the price paid, am I missing something that I should contact FCA for? THANKS!
Page 3, post 56 gives you part numbers. Many of us with early orders convinced our dealers to throw them in, as Ram phased them out after we had ordered. Now...you might have to purchase them yourself.

HMC8403

Reaction score
Page 3, post 56 gives you part numbers. Many of us with early orders convinced our dealers to throw them in, as Ram phased them out after we had ordered. Now...you might have to purchase them yourself.
Thanks, will order today.

I noticed two price discrepancies between my window sticker and the current build site. Bed utility group $545/$445 and Level 1 Equip Group $2995/$2795 respectively. Did the options just get cheaper or were their changes to the equipment included?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, will order today.

I noticed two price discrepancies between my window sticker and the current build site. Bed utility group $545/$445 and Level 1 Equip Group $2995/$2795 respectively. Did the options just get cheaper or were their changes to the equipment included?
I can’t speak to your situation, but when I ordered (May 2018), the price for the BUG changed three times while I was being quoted, ordering, and confirming the order! I’m not sure whether this is typical or was just a coincidence at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/