5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is high or too hot

Sepiast

Reaction score
Hello,
I have read the manual but I cant find what is too hot or high when using the digital read outs in my 2019 Limited. I even went to the dealership yesterday and I am still waiting on the call back from the dealer. I like that it shows the numbers but what good is it to see them without knowing the limits, thanks.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
The thermostat is 203F. So it starts opening a little earlier and is wide open at 203. Above that, hard to say. I have always used the analog gauge as a guide. If the needle is straight up in the middle or slightly below, it's good, no matter what temperature that is. I haven't gone above 220, climbing hills in 100+ temps with AC on full blast. The gauge showed dead center.

The coolant boiling point is something like 273 degrees and when you add a pressure cap, it's about 3 degrees per psi, so add another 45 to that. You won't boil until well over 300.

Sepiast

Reaction score
The thermostat is 203F. So it starts opening a little earlier and is wide open at 203. Above that, hard to say. I have always used the analog gauge as a guide. If the needle is straight up in the middle or slightly below, it's good, no matter what temperature that is. I haven't gone above 220, climbing hills in 100+ temps with AC on full blast. The gauge showed dead center.

The coolant boiling point is something like 273 degrees and when you add a pressure cap, it's about 3 degrees per psi, so add another 45 to that. You won't boil until well over 300.
Thanks for the info, but I would like to know for all read outs not just coolant. I pull a rv trailer that gross around 6,000 when fully loaded with water and supplies. The transmission info would be good to know too, alone with the others. Like I said before I really do like being able to read the numbers but I need more info for peace of mind. I dont want to wait till a warning light comes on. I am in Killeen TX and it was 104 here today.

mjamesgt

Reaction score
I got my oil to over 250 towing and didn't trigger an idiot light it that helps. I think my trans temp went above like 210 ish.

U

User_3336

These engines run HOT! (so does the V6 Pentastar).

I've seen COOLANT TEMPS to 230, OIL to 220, and TRANS to 200 in my truck.

Don't freak out about the temps!

U

User_3336

Likewise, here is a thread already created on the subject for your reading pleasure as well!

Granite5thgen

Reaction score
95+ degrees, high humidity, pulling about 8k. Truck did great from central ny to western KY. I put a thread up in the towing section showing the numbers I got if you wanna take a look at it

CDriver

Reaction score
I've seen as high as 273 on the oil temp pulling a 30ft TT up a steep pass in the Arizona summer (115) with the foot to the floor trying to get out of the way. Everything else seems to be able to self manage but I'll be installing an oil cooler for peace of mind.

Vincey2kr1

Reaction score
I've seen as high as 273 on the oil temp pulling a 30ft TT up a steep pass in the Arizona summer (115) with the foot to the floor trying to get out of the way. Everything else seems to be able to self manage but I'll be installing an oil cooler for peace of mind.
Did you Ever install an oil cooler and did it help with temps? I’m getting 251F oil temps during towing my 32ft camper 7400lbs
coolant temp 217f
trans temp 195f
oil temp 251f
oil psi 49
AT 63mph

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Oil temps can go up to 265F under heavy towing, especially on a steady incline at full throttle.

Coolant I think under the same heavy situation will get to about 240F.

Normal operating should be 215 Coolant, 225 Oil, 195 Trans. Oil pressure at 30 psi idle, 50 psi cruising. These are averages under normal use, not towing, just putting around.

Users who are viewing this thread