5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What I miss from my 2015 SLT Z71...

XDBrad

Reaction score
My wife and I were heading to town yesterday and she asked me if I missed my GMC at all.

In a sarcastic tone I said “YES, I miss the quality of the ride... how every day when I go to work and navigate the pothole laden Ohio roads thinking my dentist will be so happy to see me as my teeth are jarred lose. I also miss the flashing of high beams back in my direction because I forget to turn off my high beams. And the windshield wipers... how I miss turning them on then off again, and again, and again when it’s drizzling or get some road spray. I miss the shudder the engine had when the active fuel management was active, significant enough others in the truck could feel it but GM said it was normal... The best one I told her was the slack in the pinion. How when leaving a red light you can’t get on it before you get moving or it feels like the drive shaft just dropped”. I don’t think that was the answer she was looking for so minding my P’s and Q’s I quickly followed up with “not at all”. In all honesty the ONLY thing I can say I miss is the ability to heat the seat and back of the seat independently.” With a bad back it was a nice option. Now I’ll just heat the seat and deal with the swamp @$$ as needed, not sure but I may be able to turn on the seat ventilation at the same time to mitigate that.

Long story short, don’t miss it much at all if any!

amr15

Reaction score
I just traded in my '15 Denali yesterday for a Laramie. The ride difference was immediate. I had the range AFM disabler plugged in to keep V8 all the time to stay away from the engine shudder. I had the 6.2 and was hoping the 5.7 was going to satisfy... and it does. Great acceleration. I do feel the shift points in the first few gears on the RAM more than the GMC, but maybe with time that will get better as I only have 200 on the odometer. Once I can disable MDS on this truck I feel it will be better compared. I forgot how much hate the vibration that comes with cylinder deactivation.

DakotaRam

Reaction score
Went from a ‘16 loaded Laramie to a ‘17 Canyon Denali and now ‘19 Limited. The only thing I can say I miss about the gmc is the cost to fill the gas tank. Otherwise, no looking back...

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As for my 2003 GMC, I’ll miss the ability to pull head-on into just about any parking spot (Quadrasteer), the uniqueness of that system (lots of conversations with onlookers at gas stations), and its ridiculous payload capacity (2,783 lb). The Ram is a serious upgrade in most areas, of course.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Damn, if this was about missing your 05 with those nuances, I could fully understand but a 15! Happy for you.

It willl be interesting to see Ford and GMC/Chevy offerings the next 2 years. Ram has really up’d the game and to steal the phrase from Ford, Ram has set the bar.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My wife and I were heading to town yesterday and she asked me if I missed my GMC at all.

In a sarcastic tone I said “YES, I miss the quality of the ride... how every day when I go to work and navigate the pothole laden Ohio roads thinking my dentist will be so happy to see me as my teeth are jarred lose. I also miss the flashing of high beams back in my direction because I forget to turn off my high beams. And the windshield wipers... how I miss turning them on then off again, and again, and again when it’s drizzling or get some road spray. I miss the shudder the engine had when the active fuel management was active, significant enough others in the truck could feel it but GM said it was normal... The best one I told her was the slack in the pinion. How when leaving a red light you can’t get on it before you get moving or it feels like the drive shaft just dropped”. I don’t think that was the answer she was looking for so minding my P’s and Q’s I quickly followed up with “not at all”. In all honesty the ONLY thing I can say I miss is the ability to heat the seat and back of the seat independently.” With a bad back it was a nice option. Now I’ll just heat the seat and deal with the swamp @$$ as needed, not sure but I may be able to turn on the seat ventilation at the same time to mitigate that.

Long story short, don’t miss it much at all if any!
I was cracking up when I read this post. I traded in a fully loaded 2015 GMC z71 slt. And I agree on almost everything you posted, I even had the "operating as designed" highway vibration issue. Where I disagree is with the slack in the pinion, the slack was actually in the output shaft of the transfer case that created the lovely clunk when getting on the gas. I also like being able to only heat the seat back as well. The ride in that truck had to be the ****tiest of any truck I have ever owned.

XDBrad

Reaction score
Output shaft, I stand corrected.... being right under the cab is probably why it felt so freaking hard.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Once I can disable MDS on this truck I feel it will be better compared. I forgot how much hate the vibration that comes with cylinder deactivation.
Interesting, I really can't notice when the system activates. I do note a slight (very slight) bump on the fuel economy readout, but I have to really concentrate to notice the transition, and once it does, I can't tell the difference.

Summer Wages

Reaction score
I drove a 19 Sierra the other day and must say it was impressive. The 6.2 pulls like a freight train and the 10 speed shifts are nearly unnoticeable. I'll be shopping GM next year for another full size SUV (to replace our 16 Yukon XL) and hope the new SUV's drive as nice as the pickups. I'll run the 3 yr lease out on my 19 Ram and see what GM and Ford have done to combat the Rams superior interior. I'm not brand loyal on pickups (owned two Tundras, a Sierra, and F150) so we'll see what happens. So far enjoying my new Ram, quality is lacking though.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I drove a 19 Sierra the other day and must say it was impressive. The 6.2 pulls like a freight train and the 10 speed shifts are nearly unnoticeable. I'll be shopping GM next year for another full size SUV (to replace our 16 Yukon XL) and hope the new SUV's drive as nice as the pickups. I'll run the 3 yr lease out on my 19 Ram and see what GM and Ford have done to combat the Rams superior interior. I'm not brand loyal on pickups (owned two Tundras, a Sierra, and F150) so we'll see what happens. So far enjoying my new Ram, quality is lacking though.
I'm hopeful that this truck holds up; reliability is really my only concern, and we are very impressed with the truck overall. That being said, I've thought all along that the GMC 6.2L is the most 'fun' pickup to drive. The redesign was a letdown—I'm not sold on the exterior, and the interior is...a missed opportunity. But I'll agree with your suggestion that if GM does a major interior refresh in a couple of years, the truck could be a contender. I'd say the same thing is true of the Ford, actually. The 2019 Limited has a much-improved leather scheme (and the Raptor engine!), but it really needs a total interior makeover to grab my attention. And while I think the Limited has the best grille design (by far) for the F-150 line, not including the Raptor, I'm on the fence about those wheels. All a matter of opinion, of course. For all we know, you may be opting to trade to a 2022 Ram in three years...I'm sure FCA has quite a few surprises coming in that timeframe as well!

Users who are viewing this thread