5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What have they done to this and what will it cost to return to stock?

Gillinger

Reaction score
I'm shopping for a 5th gen Ram, either Bighorn or Laramie depending on price. Found one truck that's priced about $5K below all of the others which is this one

But what the hell have they done to the front and rear bumpers? Looks like some not so great looking aftermarket part. Given it's cheap and been for sale for quite some time, I was thinking if I could low-ball the seller and get it returned to stock before importing it. Is this a really stupid idea? Other Lone star / bighorn with group 2, crew and 6'4 box, 4x4 + HEMI + larger display in cluster seems to be priced around 40K

Final question: Do you guys expect good pricing on late 19s and 20s after the release of the 21 model (ie: should I sit tight, await the new model and then go shopping?)

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's a 2WD truck. Most likely why it's priced much lower. You'd basically need a whole lower bumper fascia in the front, then a whole bumper in the rear to get it back to stock. Not cheap.

nburd

Reaction score
Wow two owners on a 1 year old truck with 12K miles is a red flag that I would want to know more about. Some steering wheel leather wear, blinker lever wear and bumper edge wear too at 12K. They loved the aftermarket bumpers I guess. Maybe they were planning on a lift/tire upgrade. The price seems fair for a '19 with only 12K but I would want to know the history/service history. Make sure you Know the engine hours too. I wonder if it has the big Dana 10.5" axle. It appears to have the tow group.

My dealer has 2 left over of 19's crews (both 5'7") that are priced 5K higher than the 20's. ($55K sticker for $50K and and $48K sticker for $45K), No incentives or rebates anymore on them.

I think Rams hold there value well, but of course used ones will go down in value as time goes on. The dealer I just bought from (too far for you in New Hampshire, Allen Mello) has a 2020, 6'4", Crew, Granite Crystal, Hemi, 4x4 North Edition (basically off road package blended with Sport) with level 2 and bed utility group for $44,766. That's over $9K off from sticker and if you have a competitive truck fit's another $1K off that. With the inventory shortage, I do not know if there will be any incentives on the left over 20's. I have always believed in "why by new when used will do" but in this Market could not find a used one to suit me. Many 19's were were just 5K or so less than my new one or modded in some way. Good luck shopping. It is nice to live where you do not need a 4x4!!!!

I am sure you can get a nice used rust free bumper set from a local scrap yard. or check www.car-part.com for local pricing. Front bumper in Chrome was $300-400 and rear $700 or so.

Finally I have always wanted to buy from Kernsville Ram in NC. Their pricing is the lowest I have seen. I could not buy from them this time due to Covid travel restrictions of my company but check them out. 300 miles of free shipping and prices that are pretty low. A few 2WDs in stock too. I know it's $41K but this is beautiful! I think this is a 6'4" bed but it does not say it anywhere.....https://www.31dodge.com/new/Ram/2019-Ram-1500-kernersville-9e9356540a0e0ae776d4976411e1e0b9.htm

Last edited:

Wsmith

Reaction score
I just came back from Wyoming, there were beefed up bumpers and "cow catchers" attached to everything, even cars. Some come off the lots with aftermarket bumpers. I grew up there but don't remember hitting wildlife all that often. Didn't "catch" my first deer until I moved to sillinois. Its a west cowboy thing. No offense to the west or cowboys.

Gillinger

Reaction score
4x4 is not a MUST but would be nice. Will check out Kernsville Ram - they had some sweet deals on new 2020s. Problem with the 2020 model is that it will be taxed at $3200 yearly in Sweden if I don't ship it through Germany for a E85 conversion (which I never will use....) then it's $240 per year in tax.

nburd

Reaction score
Yes, 4x4 will be helpful in Sweden for sure. I spent a week there a few years back. A beautiful country. Good luck shopping and shipping....

Gillinger

Reaction score
Just talked to Kernsville Ram - they refuse to sell me a truck if I'm going to export it... Guess I have to get me a decoy to register it...

But in all seriousness, they're entitled to sell to who they want - I'll just drop my money elsewhere...

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
Notice in the picture of the lower section of the center stack that the amber lights for the front and rear parking sensors switches indicates those sensors are disabled.
Also notice the conspicuous lack of parking sensors on both front and rear bumpers in other pictures. That explains why they're disabled.
I'll wager that stuff is not cheap to replace.

Steve

COSPILOT

Reaction score
Many moons ago I worked in sales at a dealership in Colorado Springs for both new used. New I didn’t make much money, as even 2003 people were savvy enough at best I would make $250 for a new car, while used was better, actually much better. Anyhow, I was the salesman that was interested in also doing internet sales before it became mainstream and actually did ok. I was shocked at the demand from Germany specifically. The same buyer would buy Grand Caravans from me, and even a Plymouth Prowler from me. Why the Caravan was so popular was beyond me.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm shopping for a 5th gen Ram, either Bighorn or Laramie depending on price. Found one truck that's priced about $5K below all of the others which is this one

But what the hell have they done to the front and rear bumpers? Looks like some not so great looking aftermarket part. Given it's cheap and been for sale for quite some time, I was thinking if I could low-ball the seller and get it returned to stock before importing it. Is this a really stupid idea? Other Lone star / bighorn with group 2, crew and 6'4 box, 4x4 + HEMI + larger display in cluster seems to be priced around 40K

Final question: Do you guys expect good pricing on late 19s and 20s after the release of the 21 model (ie: should I sit tight, await the new model and then go shopping?)
Hard pass on that one. 2 owners, aftermarket bumpers on a 2wd says that something happened to the front end...possibly both ends that wasn't good. The only other reason to have bumpers like that is for off roading/winch installation....which this truck has neither since it's not 4wd. Nope!

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I might be a little late on this, but...
1. The first owner was the dealership; it was probably used as a Service Loaner. The second owner was actually the owner.
2. It's a 2WD; thus lower price.
3. Those bumpers are actually pretty cool and would be nice on a lifted 4x4.
4. It may have been wrecked and the dealer may have fixed it "under the table" with aftermarket bumpers to keep it off the Carfax.
5. Probably not the best truck or deal out there.

Attachments

• CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2019 RAM 1500 BIG HORN_LONE STAR_ 1C6RREMT5KN548720.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 7

turkeybird56

Reaction score

THEY put on Boondock Bumpers, aftermarket products, designed for lights, winches, etc, U got about 3K in aftermarket bumpers there, a lot better than stock. SOmebody may have had a winch on the front also. Does have 3.92 rear and is a 4 X 2.......

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What happens with air bag deployment in a crash with those bumpers?

bryan28

Reaction score
Just talked to Kernsville Ram - they refuse to sell me a truck if I'm going to export it... Guess I have to get me a decoy to register it...

But in all seriousness, they're entitled to sell to who they want - I'll just drop my money elsewhere...
Why won't a dealer sell if it's going to be exported? A sell is a sell in my book. As long as they get their money why care where the vehicle is?

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Interesting that anyone would put off road bumpers on a 2WD. If you change them out with junk yard or new, the resale on the heavy bumpers might make it worthwhile. 2 owner is worrisome though.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy that particular truck for more than one reason, but mainly because it's rwd. I do think those bumpers could look good on a black lifted truck though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/