5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Happens When Sunroof Drains Get Clogged?

cruz-in

Reaction score
Hi Team,

Reading thru the posts on improperly installed grommets for sunroof drains causing water problems got me thinking. We live in an area with very heavy tree cover. Lots of leaves, pine needles and other "organic" matter always getting on the truck. It is only a matter of time till the drain tubes get clogged with "organic" matter.

Will clogged drain tubes cause water to run into the truck?

Thanks
Dan

Jordan2929

Reaction score
It's unlikely the tubes will clog, the only water that runs through the them is what can make it between the seals. It'd be hard for foreign objects (like leaves) to make it into the tubes.

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My 2011 Jeep has a panaramic and the drains aren’t clogged to the best of my knowledge. I wouldn’t be to concerned about such!

LossPrev

Reaction score
My buddy with a 2018 F150 just told me about his problem yesterday. One of his tubes is clogged and is creating a small leak on the headliner. Dealer is taking the headliner apart to get access to the tube so they can blow compressed air through it.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where are these drain grommets/drain tubes located for pano roof so I can inspect them? How many are there? Thanks!

ericd

Reaction score
Where are these drain grommets/drain tubes located for pano roof so I can inspect them? How many are there? Thanks!
Look down between the bed and the cab on the passenger side. You'll see a little tube with a black grommet. The grommet should be pushed in and flush with the cab side

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Look down between the bed and the cab on the passenger side. You'll see a little tube with a black grommet. The grommet should be pushed in and flush with the cab side
So I finally got around to crawling under my Limited to check the drains and low and behold they were hanging out. Thank God no leaks since I picked it up in September. I now believe the rusted rear seat brackets and surface rust on other parts under the rear seats is attributed to moisture getting in through the hole where the grommet was supposed to be seated. I never had dampness on the rear carpet but couldn't figure out how in the hell I could have surface rust on parts under the rear seat in a brand new vehicle when I got it. Makes sense now. Although I love my truck, FCA clearly has the worst quality control I've ever experienced in any brand vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread