5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what grinds my gears!!!

wrcrallysport

Reaction score
So I have a 2019 Laramie 8.4 Uconnect. (NON NAV)

Like many of you we are told there is nothing that can be done to add NAV. But when i go to look at clock settings yesterday before the time change my clock is set to - SET BY GPS. and low and behold this morning my clock was set to the correct time. Now does that make sense.

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Like many of you we are told there is nothing that can be done to add NAV. But when i go to look at clock settings yesterday before the time change my clock is set to - SET BY GPS. and low and behold this morning my clock was set to the correct time. Now does that make sense.
That’s interesting...:unsure:

Cortesio

Reaction score
GPS is very cheap to implement. At its core, a GPS unit just receives clock signals from satellites. A receiver is pennies to bake into existing hardware. I’m not privy to the exact makeup of the electronics of our trucks, but there are several layers of hardware and software that takes a raw GPS clock signal and turns it into the fancy pants map and everything that goes with it. I’m not saying it’s expensive or difficult for an automaker to add GPS navigation (because it isn’t), but being able to detect and use a GPS signal is not necessarily the same thing as the navigation option we traditionally think of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

parnine

Reaction score

Why do you want to add NAV? The NAV sucks on these trucks, and cars in general, and there are so many other options - car play, dedicated ipad (lot cheaper) plus has other uses, etc. But you can also 'swap' out the 8.4 for a 8.4 NAV unit, so it can be 'added' ....

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why do you want to add NAV? The NAV sucks on these trucks, and cars in general, and there are so many other options - car play, dedicated ipad (lot cheaper) plus has other uses, etc. But you can also 'swap' out the 8.4 for a 8.4 NAV unit, so it can be 'added' ....
Exactly. $800 for OEM nav that's outdated from day 1 plus $150 for each (also outdated) update, when the Waze/Google Maps/Apple Maps already in your pocket is free and constantly updated. Just plug in your phone and use Android Auto/Apple Car Play on the 8.4" screen.

Last edited:

Moe1962

Reaction score
I didn't care if my truck had NAV or not when I bought it. I use Apple Car Play and it works fine most of the time, and I can still use my phone while connected.

Zooram

Reaction score
I'd argue Andriod auto and Apple CarPlay are way worth it over factory nav. I have a 2020 Ram with the 12 inch/nav with 4g service right now and it is blah at best. But when I plug my Samsung phone in...that's awesome. I can use google maps and the radio mirrors my phone. And I don't have to put my phone in a holder on the windshield anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread