5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What else in your garage?

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol. The principle in my elementary school used to always tell us when we were sent to his office that the shadow knows. Lol. Before my time too and I was in elementary school in 70’s-80’s

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
All this junk
98ba7b3bdeff67155a175eae6bc219c6.jpg

0a6375f69c5cc15e44cf36b6f6d6c7f1.jpg

38c71f03a6c9af7c9d5e86cbbb4bae88.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Was in the garage until around this time last year. Sold it to a friend because he has better plans for it.
1991 BMW 318is. One year wonder with the M42 4-banger. This was the beginning of my ownership.
IMG_1854.jpg
IMG_1863.jpg
IMG_1868.jpg IMG_1852.jpg
Replaced by this:
2009 BMW M3
Fell in love with it back when they were still selling these at the dealer but couldn't afford one as a college freshman. Bought it sight unseen from across the country and had it shipped here.
Every time I drive it it reminds me of a much simpler time and carmakers were actually making cars not appliances.
_MG_4749.jpg _MG_4763.jpg _MG_4805.jpg _MG_4770.jpg _MG_4810.jpg

brotherGood

Reaction score
Here's the current garage tenant..

Pulled it out of a barn a couple months back. Number's matching 69 442. The original engine is currently being saved (hopefully) at the machine shop..should know more in about a week or so.
Man, I forgot I posted this on here..

Extremely long story short, car finally is for the most part back together and running. I still have a decent list of to-dos but priority 1 is figuring out why I have such little vacuum. I've got all winter though, so whatever.
IMG_20221122_215300_286.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Man, I forgot I posted this on here..

Extremely long story short, car finally is for the most part back together and running. I still have a decent list of to-dos but priority 1 is figuring out why I have such little vacuum. I've got all winter though, so whatever.
View attachment 145143
Low vacuum could just be due to cam profile. A lot of guys with larger cams run vacuum boxes, or vacuum pumps to assist

brotherGood

Reaction score
Low vacuum could just be due to cam profile. A lot of guys with larger cams run vacuum boxes, or vacuum pumps to assist
Everyone I've talked to, including my personal thoughts were the low vacuum is attributed to the cam.

The only one who balks at that, is the one who sold me the cam. He's known as one of the top Olds engine guys in the country, and he's adamant I should be able to obtain a minimum vacuum number of 15.

If it's going to be that low, I'll get the pump/amp setup and be done. Until then though, I've got a couple more variables to try to rule out. First being the carb, second being the carb adapter. Ignition timing is right, so it's either a leak I've not been able to find or cam timing, or the cam really is that big.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone I've talked to, including my personal thoughts were the low vacuum is attributed to the cam.

The only one who balks at that, is the one who sold me the cam. He's known as one of the top Olds engine guys in the country, and he's adamant I should be able to obtain a minimum vacuum number of 15.

If it's going to be that low, I'll get the pump/amp setup and be done. Until then though, I've got a couple more variables to try to rule out. First being the carb, second being the carb adapter. Ignition timing is right, so it's either a leak I've not been able to find or cam timing, or the cam really is that big.
Leak is easy to find. Spray some brake cleaner around the instake and carb gaskets and see if RPMs change. Unless it's sucking in air from lifter valley

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Do you know your cam specs? That might give you an idea real quick if that is the issue.

brotherGood

Reaction score
20221204_181900.jpg
This is in a '69 400 (G block) that has been bored .040 over and zero decked. Currently has 7" Olds rods and forged Icon pistons.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Leak is easy to find. Spray some brake cleaner around the instake and carb gaskets and see if RPMs change. Unless it's sucking in air from lifter valley
Missed this one.

I've done the spray trick multiple times to no avail. Im wondering if it could be from under the intake as I was able to give each intake bolt another quarter turn at least last night.

On the next decent day, I'll fire it up and check if that did anything.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Makes sense, a shorter duration could be used with a roller. A flat would need more duration to run smoothly. If you don't find a leak, I would blame it on the aggressive duration, but I'm certainly no expert.
Yeah, and the fact that everyone is blaming the cam aside from the one who sold me the cam makes me wonder..but then again he may have forgotten what cam he sold me. It was about a year ago that I bought it and a lot has happened with that engine since.

Restore a car, they said. Itll be fun, they said.

Users who are viewing this thread