5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does the forward facing camera inside the rearview mirror bezel do? Is it only active with certain packages?

VistaB

Reaction score
What's the forward facing camera all about inside the rearview housing? I only found it looking for a USB outlet for a dashcam. If it's important I might have to clean it now that I put my dirty fingers on it. Or maybe it just felt like a camera lens, and it's something else. I have a 2019 Laramie. Sorry if this is redundant - not good with forums.

cra1g

Reaction score
It's used for auto high-beams, lane-keeping assist, adaptive cruise control, and possibly some other stuff.

Evoking1230

Reaction score
auto-dimming mirror.. probably the sensor.

Stupid question, those of us who have this option, does it include side mirrors as well or just rear view?

VistaB

Reaction score
Okay, thanks!
I do have auto dimming headlights.
Guess I shouldn't block it with my dash cam then like now. :)

Apexcars

Reaction score
I don't think it has anything to do with the rain sensing wipers. I think that is embedded in the windshield itself. I could be wrong, I haven't researched it on the truck but in my BMW from a few years ago it had a very lengthy explanation of how the tech worked in the owner's manual. Gotta love those Germans when they write a manual they are crazy thorough.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't think it has anything to do with the rain sensing wipers. I think that is embedded in the windshield itself. I could be wrong, I haven't researched it on the truck but in my BMW from a few years ago it had a very lengthy explanation of how the tech worked in the owner's manual. Gotta love those Germans when they write a manual they are crazy thorough.

I have it on my Rebel and don't have auto high beam, lane assist or adaptive cruise so the only thing I have a rain sensing wipers.

GAscooter

Reaction score
It controls the rain sensing wipers by looking for refracted light caused by the moisture on the windshield.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online