5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does "bighorn" actually mean?

Moosefire66

Reaction score
So, I bought my 19 ram from my dad after his lease expired. I didnt know much about it but I knew if we had another kid (due in jan) that I wanted a crew cab truck to replace our chevy trax, which could not fit 2 car seats plus 2 adults. Anyways, I knew he didn't have a lot of options as it's a v-6, but after buying it I saw the build sheet... nothing. Nothing at all. The only "upgrade" to a base model truck is the 100 dollar paint job. That's absolutely it. Doesn't say anything about a bighorn package, except for the badge on the tailgate, base 5 inch radio, no hitch receiver, no trailer brake... nothing.

So what did I get to go along with the bighorn package? The carpet? Fabric seats as opposed to crappy vinyl for a work truck? I'm really at a loss as to what bighorn is supposed to mean.

Any help is appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the word actually means but the big horn model is similiar to an XLT Ford or LT Silverado.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Bighorn isn't really a package. It is more of a designation like SRT, GT, LS, etc. It goes Tradesman, Big Horn, Laramie, and Limited. The Rebel is in there somewhere too. And of course, names differ in other places like Texas. Basically, you got 1 step up from the base model. And sounds like no extras too. My fully optioned Big Horn is really nice.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Bighorn isn't really a package. It is more of a designation like SRT, GT, LS, etc. It goes Tradesman, Big Horn, Laramie, and Limited. The Rebel is in there somewhere too. And of course, names differ in other places like Texas. Basically, you got 1 step up from the base model. And sounds like no extras too. My fully optioned Big Horn is really nice.
^^^ Right on the money ^^^

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Bighorn is a trim level. And it's probably the most configurable trim level offered from Ram. It's also the trim level that Ram usually gives the biggest incentives on for some reason. The base Big Horn is just above a well optioned Tradesman. A fully optioned Big Horn is almost equal to a well optioned Laramie. It sounds like yours is closer to a base model.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, I bought my 19 ram from my dad after his lease expired. I didnt know much about it but I knew if we had another kid (due in jan) that I wanted a crew cab truck to replace our chevy trax, which could not fit 2 car seats plus 2 adults. Anyways, I knew he didn't have a lot of options as it's a v-6, but after buying it I saw the build sheet... nothing. Nothing at all. The only "upgrade" to a base model truck is the 100 dollar paint job. That's absolutely it. Doesn't say anything about a bighorn package, except for the badge on the tailgate, base 5 inch radio, no hitch receiver, no trailer brake... nothing.

So what did I get to go along with the bighorn package? The carpet? Fabric seats as opposed to crappy vinyl for a work truck? I'm really at a loss as to what bighorn is supposed to mean.

Any help is appreciated!

Well, there isn’t much for me to add, because I’m not sure exactly what your question is. Big horn is a trim. Base model is tradesman. Next is big horn.

My suggestion to you, look up your build sheet. It will give you plenty of info about what came with your truck. Like paint codes, engine size, gas tank size, gears,…etc

Just enter vin below and it will break everything down

2022 Big Horn Back Country
6/14…order placed
6/24…D status and Vin

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score

Any help is appreciated!

BigHorn is RAM's equivalent of a Ford F150 XLT or a Chevy Silverado LT. Just like those competitive trim levels you can go from very basic/optioned down to quite elaborate. Also like the competitive models it's the "volume trim level" for RAM. There normally is a vast price spread from base to fully optioned-out.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score

bighorn​

noun

Definition of bighorn

(Entry 1 of 2)
less common variant of BIGHORN SHEEP
: a usually grayish-brown wild sheep (Ovis canadensis) of mountainous and desert regions of western North America
NOTE: The bighorn sheep has a white patch on the rump and, in the males, massive horns that curve up and back over the ears and then up and forward toward the cheeks.

Bighorn
geographical name
Big·horn | \ ˈbig-ˌhȯrn \
Definition of Bighorn (Entry 2 of 2)
river 336 miles (541 kilometers) long in northern Wyoming and southeastern Montana flowing north into the Yellowstone River.

Does this help?

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California

Any help is appreciated!

I think you pretty much figured it. Tradesman is a work truck/fleet vehicle. So it's going to be pretty spartan inside. The Bighorn is one step up so you likely have carpet and cloth seats. Each level upgrade includes a few more goodies standard, like power seats or leather upholstery.

Just consider that while you have fewer options, that also means fewer things that can break.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Above a Tradesman a Bighorn basically gets you chrome, a power seat (driver only), power fold mirrors, and maybe sliding rear window (not positive about the window)

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Above a Tradesman a Bighorn basically gets you chrome, a power seat (driver only), power fold mirrors, and maybe sliding rear window (not positive about the window)
Yes it’s a manual sliding rear window

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Ram logo is a male bighorn sheep; with a ram being a male sheep. That should help explain why they chose Bighorn as the trim name.

(Longhorn, on the other hand, is a variety of cattle, not sheep).

mtnrider

Reaction score

Not sure on the new 1500's but in the 2500's it gives you a lot of little things as well like better door panels that actually have some padding on them vs that hard plastic, other upgraded trim parts, and of course ability to add more additional options.

There really is a lot of overlap with some of these trim packages, like mentioned you can get a well optioned Bighorn that is pretty much a laramie or a bone stock Bighorn that is closer to a Tradesman

Moosefire66

Reaction score
I dont have power folding mirrors, but fo have a manual sliding window

Moosefire66

Reaction score
Well, there isn’t much for me to add, because I’m not sure exactly what your question is. Big horn is a trim. Base model is tradesman. Next is big horn.

My suggestion to you, look up your build sheet. It will give you plenty of info about what came with your truck. Like paint codes, engine size, gas tank size, gears,…etc

Just enter vin below and it will break everything down

2022 Big Horn Back Country
6/14…order placed
6/24…D status and Vin

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
This actually brings up another question. Everywhere on this site has said that the v-6 comes with a 3.55 but when I looked up my vin it said 3.21

No clue why...

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
(Longhorn, on the other hand, is a variety of cattle, not sheep).
Good buddy of mine, who’s a Texas Aggie, passed on the Longhorn and instead got the Bighorn because of this.
True story, and pretty funny BTW.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased the Big Horn and have been purchasing the Big Horn/Lone Star versions for my last three Rams. Previously I had two Longhorns and did not like the way the leather seats wore or or their comfort. The only issue I have with the Big Horn/Lone Star version is the fact a passenger power seat is not available even as an option.

With that said, my wife says the seat is high enough for her 5’ frame but I know she misses the power seat. Even with that, we love our 2021 Big Horn.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good buddy of mine, who’s a Texas Aggie, passed on the Longhorn and instead got the Bighorn because of this.
True story, and pretty funny BTW.
I can relate. I’m a Gator alum, and I could never drive a Rebel with red and black interior (Georgia Bulldog colors).

jth877

Reaction score
Big Horns kind of run a wide range of options. Ram killed express which is now a stripped down big horn. But even with an express model you could get just about any option. My 2017 had the 5.7, limited slip, 32gal tank, tow package, 20" wheels and led bed lighting. I never understood the massive overlap in trims.

Users who are viewing this thread