5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you think? 2019 certified preowned 1500 North Edition?

PanzerFreak

Reaction score
So I’m about to buy my first Ram. My budget has been $35k - $38k. I had been looking for 2020 models but didn’t find one with the features and mileage I wanted.

This one I’m about to buy is a certified preowned 2019 black metallic RAM 1500 crew cab 4x4 North Edition, equipment group 2, with the V6 which I want for my needs and gas mileage. Besides the north package it has deluxe cloth seats, Alpine speaker system, 20” aluminum chrome clad wheels, wheel well liners, side running boards, drop in bed liner, and a tonneau cover.

It’s a lease turn in, certified preowned with 28,000 miles on it. Price is $36k. CarFax report and maintenance records look good The only negative thing I could say about the truck is that the white lettering on the passenger side of the tires is worn pretty good, likely from curb wear? I may try to get $500 off for that but doubt it.

My only other hold up is thinking I should keep trying to find a 2020 instead. I’ve typically tried to avoid first model years but negative 2019 reports seem rare. I’ve found a couple similar sub 30,000 mileage 2020s but they are night editions (still very nice) without the options I listed above for around $37k - $38k.

What do you think? Thank you.

Mystic Rhythms

Reaction score
My thought would be to get the truck you will be happy with.
If the 19 has everything you want then what is stopping you?
If you really would prefer the 20 then hold out for one with everything you want on it.
You are dropping real money here so make sure you are happy. Believe me, it sucks when you realize a month after you by a new rig that you would have liked something else instead.

PanzerFreak

Reaction score
Great points! Thank you. I truly feel that this truck has every option I would want and that I’m making no compromises. If there’s any negative it’s that wear on the white tire lettering on the passenger side but that just seems like curb wear. It has every option I want in the color I want with the low mileage I want. I guess I have a little hesitation buying a 2019 versus a 2020 but maybe I’m just overreacting.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
In all honesty the 2020 owners were reporting the same issues that the 2019 owners were reporting . Most have no problems but the problems people were reporting were the same .

Bigzway

Reaction score
I have a 2019 North Edition with no problems everything I need love the truck

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Poor AC performance, leaking rear window and 3rd brake light seem to be the main complaints from 2019 owners. As mentioned, those problems have been seen by 2020 owners as well. Look at the rear window frame and see if there are cracks. They will be on the inside at the top, kind of bracketing the slider. Make sure they replace the rear window if there are cracks there. Also, there were quite a few recalls on 2019's which didn't affect later model years. As long as those were taken care of you should be fine with the 2019 you're looking at.

Jako

Reaction score
Poor AC performance, leaking rear window and 3rd brake light seem to be the main complaints from 2019 owners. As mentioned, those problems have been seen by 2020 owners as well. Look at the rear window frame and see if there are cracks. They will be on the inside at the top, kind of bracketing the slider. Make sure they replace the rear window if there are cracks there. Also, there were quite a few recalls on 2019's which didn't affect later model years. As long as those were taken care of you should be fine with the 2019 you're looking at.
My own 2019 experience would include: battery replaced at 2 year mark under warranty, ANC 2 tries to get it right, brake moan fixed on 2nd complaint under TSB. Had some issues with back up camera and nav but all good as of lately. No 3rd brake light or crack. AC is adequate for my needs but live in NY.

Bigzway

Reaction score
It was 105 today and it cooled fine could have been colder but the truck sat in the sun

SD Rebel

Reaction score
My 2019 has been flawless, zero issues since day one, not seen the dealer in 3 years since delivery. Honestly my most reliable and trouble free first 3 years of any new vehicle I have ever bought. (knocking on wood, the whole tree actually).

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I’m about to buy my first Ram. My budget has been $35k - $38k. I had been looking for 2020 models but didn’t find one with the features and mileage I wanted.

This one I’m about to buy is a certified preowned 2019 black metallic RAM 1500 crew cab 4x4 North Edition, equipment group 2, with the V6 which I want for my needs and gas mileage. Besides the north package it has deluxe cloth seats, Alpine speaker system, 20” aluminum chrome clad wheels, wheel well liners, side running boards, drop in bed liner, and a tonneau cover.

It’s a lease turn in, certified preowned with 28,000 miles on it. Price is $36k. CarFax report and maintenance records look good The only negative thing I could say about the truck is that the white lettering on the passenger side of the tires is worn pretty good, likely from curb wear? I may try to get $500 off for that but doubt it.

My only other hold up is thinking I should keep trying to find a 2020 instead. I’ve typically tried to avoid first model years but negative 2019 reports seem rare. I’ve found a couple similar sub 30,000 mileage 2020s but they are night editions (still very nice) without the options I listed above for around $37k - $38k.

What do you think? Thank you.

Great points! Thank you. I truly feel that this truck has every option I would want and that I’m making no compromises. If there’s any negative it’s that wear on the white tire lettering on the passenger side but that just seems like curb wear. It has every option I want in the color I want with the low mileage I want. I guess I have a little hesitation buying a 2019 versus a 2020 but maybe I’m just overreacting.

Forget the white lettering. I would tell the dealer to pull the tires and remount them with the lettering facing in, they look better with black wall tires anyway.

PanzerFreak

Reaction score
Forget the white lettering. I would tell the dealer to pull the tires and remount them with the lettering facing in, they look better with black wall tires anyway.
Some good news on that front. The dealer is going to replace both passenger side tires tires due to the lettering and side wall wear.

Users who are viewing this thread