5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you do with your fob?

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At home it's on my night stand when I'm not using the truck. Other than that it's in my pocket, including when I unlock or remote start the truck - reach in pocket, push button(s), take hand out of pocket.

I have the passive entry kit sitting in my garage. One of these weekends I'll have to find the time to start installing it.

Keys in my pocket don't bother me but my wallet does so it goes in the sliding tray behind the cupholders. I flipped my tray insert 180° so the coin holder is in the back. Makes that tray much more useful IMO.
Move that wallet to a front pocket, your sciatic nerve and back will thank you.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now there's an idea. I'll have to look into that. Thanks! The coin slots are in a weird location, in my opinion.
I was goofing around with everything one day and realized that the tray was just an insert. I picked it up and flipped it around. Works much better for me that way (with the coins in the back).

Move that wallet to a front pocket, your sciatic nerve and back will thank you.
I always take everything out of my back pockets when I drive. My back is bad enough (two bulging discs and a pinched sciatic - how did you know? ;)) without putting a bunch of foreign objects between my butt/back and the seat.

One of the reasons it was Level 2 or bust for me was the heated seat. I almost always have it on when I drive.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t wear skinny jeans but it’s either I’m wearing work clothes and I’m around abrasive/dust/paint = bad idea to have something u care about in your pockets. So I leave my fob in the truck unlocked at work since I’m never to far away from it and its a rather small group of guys and it’s in base 99% of the time so it’s rather secure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BigD

Reaction score
Fob rarely leaves my pocket except when I switch to a clean pair of pants. I don't like to let my truck idle so I rarely remote start it. I have no other reason not to keep it in my pocket.
Yes, I've recently read several articles that say letting your truck idle is terrible for your motor. Gas gets in the cylinder wall, washes the oil away. I never knew that. I don't know why everything has remote start these days if it's prematurely wearing out the motor ?

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know why everything has remote start these days if it's prematurely wearing out the motor ?

People like me most likely, who don't plan to keep the vehicle more than 3-4 years but do fully intend on taking advantage of having the truck completely comfortable to get into in either the summer or winter.

Check those idle hours when buying used, mine are always very high when I trade in.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I've recently read several articles that say letting your truck idle is terrible for your motor. Gas gets in the cylinder wall, washes the oil away. I never knew that. I don't know why everything has remote start these days if it's prematurely wearing out the motor ?
Then you should never drive in town, any time there might be traffic, go through a drive-thru, or live in Los Angeles.

Some is not going to be a big deal. If you remote start and let it idle for 15 minutes regularly that’s probably not the greatest.

Cold starts are not good for your truck either but they’ve got to be done.

You can mitigate some of the detrimental actions but at some point you have to enjoy the truck rather than preserve it. It’s going to wear out one way or another no matter how long you try to make it last.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
you better throw those articles away
you would have to let your truck idle for years to make a difference.

Topher

Reaction score
At home it's on my night stand when I'm not using the truck. Other than that it's in my pocket, including when I unlock or remote start the truck - reach in pocket, push button(s), take hand out of pocket.

I have the passive entry kit sitting in my garage. One of these weekends I'll have to find the time to start installing it.

Keys in my pocket don't bother me but my wallet does so it goes in the sliding tray behind the cupholders. I flipped my tray insert 180° so the coin holder is in the back. Makes that tray much more useful IMO.
I didn't know you could do this. I'm going to switch mine

BigD

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know about that. I read several articles from different sources that said only let your vehicle idle for 30 seconds to 1 min. Then drive it but don't slam on the gas until it's fully warmed up. If u let it sit in your driveway & idle gas can get in the cylinder wall & since it's a solvent it will actually wash the oil away. It's one of the biggest misconceptions. Back in the day when we had carburetors people had to warm them up for them to run right. Now days that does more harm than good. Just like they used to say change your oil every 3 months/3,000 miles but now we know vehicles & oil have come along ways so we can drive 5,000 or 6,000 miles between oil changes.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That might happen if you leave the choke out for too long, but not likely with fuel injection

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know about that. I read several articles from different sources that said only let your vehicle idle for 30 seconds to 1 min. Then drive it but don't slam on the gas until it's fully warmed up. If u let it sit in your driveway & idle gas can get in the cylinder wall & since it's a solvent it will actually wash the oil away. It's one of the biggest misconceptions. Back in the day when we had carburetors people had to warm them up for them to run right. Now days that does more harm than good. Just like they used to say change your oil every 3 months/3,000 miles but now we know vehicles & oil have come along ways so we can drive 5,000 or 6,000 miles between oil changes.
that might have been true with carburetors but not with fuel injection

the tolerances are way closer today than in the past

look at how many miles are on police cars and they almost never shut then off during the shift.

anyway do want you feel is best and so will I

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's neither here nor there as far as I'm concerned. I've read some of those articles, along with others that say it's not hurting anything. Either way, I don't like to let my vehicles idle for long periods because it wastes gas. Which is a waste of money. I'd rather spend money on fun things, especially with the gas prices these days. It's just a bonus if not idling for long periods is beneficial in some way.

Users who are viewing this thread