5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do want to see made for the 5th Gen Ram 1500???

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I ended up getting the RamAir intake and putting the compressor where the stock intake was. There are other options for locating it though (floor bins, frame rails, engine bay, Ram box, etc).
I've seen them mounted in various places. I know there are advantages and disadvantages to different mounting locations. Was curious where you mounted yours and I am also curious what you like and dislike about the location.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Don't some of the HD Rams with the big diesel have a dual battery setup? Thinking maybe the parts already exist...
The HD Rams (Diesel) run dual batteries. I'd have to look at the newer ones but older ones were one battery on each side of the engine compartment. That being said, the tray will be available but not necessarily the mounting brackets or holes to fit the 1500.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the great ideas. We are slowly but surely adding parts for the 5th Gen Rams. We tried to do 4th Gen parts because tons of people asked for them but when we made them, very few people actually came through and ordered.

We have a customer with a 5th Gen Rebel. We would love to develop a relationship with some other local customers with other trims and options that we can use for developing and have them test parts as well.

Once we get a majority of the 5th Gen 1500 parts and TRX parts built that we want to do we may test the waters on the HD stuff but that will be further down the road. There are so many parts to be made for Ram it is surprising to me that very few are doing it. I appreciate you all and appreciate the ideas and feedback. You all are the best.

Something that wasn't mentioned here that will most likely be one of our next parts released for the 5th Gen (we have some designs we are testing) is a skid plate with catalytic converter protection built in. I'm not sure what the cost to replace the 5th gen cats are or what the availability is but a TRX customer's were stolen and his were $12k and on a 6 month backorder.

mac-oly

Reaction score
We had rock sliders but I think a body mounted option would be better. The frame mounted ones we made were super solid and each side would hold the weight of the truck with no flex. The issues we had were they were super heavy and hard to ship, hard to install with the 33 gallon tank, and they have a tendency to creak and pop as the frame flexes.
A body mounted slider step combination would be really cool. I almost got f'd ordering real sliders from another company (SOS Offroad Concepts, now hopefully permanently closed) and have settled on the Go Rhino steps for now. They're good for what they are, but something a little more robust and more tucked up near the rocker would be ideal.

tyromeo55

Reaction score
Don't some of the HD Rams with the big diesel have a dual battery setup? Thinking maybe the parts already exist...
It is my understanding that the 2nd tray from the HD trucks will NOT fit the 1500 DT trucks. I saw where one guy got it to work but he had to modify the tray including affixing a 1" or larger electrical LB conduit body underneath for support. I'd like something more ---- refined

I have the ability to fab something nicer and it is on my horribly long - to do / wish list. If one was offered at a fair price I wouldn't bother.

my idea your welcome to have. Make the bracket for a 2nd battery. Offer an optional shelf that would bolt to it (or near) for mountinf associated components... pre drilled or drill as needed holes for breaker or fuseholder, battery isolator, DC-DC charger

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
It is my understanding that the 2nd tray from the HD trucks will NOT fit the 1500 DT trucks. I saw where one guy got it to work but he had to modify the tray including affixing a 1" or larger electrical LB conduit body underneath for support. I'd like something more ---- refined

I have the ability to fab something nicer and it is on my horribly long - to do / wish list. If one was offered at a fair price I wouldn't bother.

my idea your welcome to have. Make the bracket for a 2nd battery. Offer an optional shelf that would bolt to it (or near) for mountinf associated components... pre drilled or drill as needed holes for breaker or fuseholder, battery isolator, DC-DC charger
I didn't figure they would work. I am always open to others ideas. If you want to share what you have I can compare it to my renderings and see what makes the most sense. The add on brackets is a great idea as well.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the great ideas. We are slowly but surely adding parts for the 5th Gen Rams. We tried to do 4th Gen parts because tons of people asked for them but when we made them, very few people actually came through and ordered.
You will find this in most communities. They beg for parts to be made, someone comes through and spends time/money making them, then those who were begging for the parts are silent. Mainly because they don't understand how much it costs to make limited production custom parts, and either can't afford them, or don't want to pay the price.

Same thing with group buys. People will add their name to the list for participating, then when it comes time to send the money, crickets.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Frame braces to stiffen the frame from flexing. I have an X-brace from Kenny-Brown on my Dakota that ties the front and rear of the frame together at the center cross member. Meant for keeping frame straight running in the Twisties, and better weight transfer when racing. Works damn good as well, but Kenny-Brown don't make them anymore. There is another company, that does similar things as you for Dakotas, that has made their own design now.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
A bolt-on stainless (or black powder coated) anti-theft catalytlic converter shield/skid plate using security fasteners would be nice to see.
We have a skid design partially done that will be able to be purchased in sections or all together. It will have cat protection built in. We may or may not do security fasteners but I think 99.9% of catalytic converter thieves will just move on to an easier target as opposed to removing several bolts and dropping a skid plate to gain access.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Frame braces to stiffen the frame from flexing. I have an X-brace from Kenny-Brown on my Dakota that ties the front and rear of the frame together at the center cross member. Meant for keeping frame straight running in the Twisties, and better weight transfer when racing. Works damn good as well, but Kenny-Brown don't make them anymore. There is another company, that does similar things as you for Dakotas, that has made their own design now.
Haven’t heard that one before. I can see the benefits for sure. There is a ton of frame flex on these trucks.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We have a skid design partially done that will be able to be purchased in sections or all together. It will have cat protection built in. We may or may not do security fasteners but I think 99.9% of catalytic converter thieves will just move on to an easier target as opposed to removing several bolts and dropping a skid plate to gain access.
Yep, I think that’s the same concept as criminals who go through a parking lot trying every door until they find one unlocked. Path of least resistance and all that.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Haven’t heard that one before. I can see the benefits for sure. There is a ton of frame flex on these trucks.
Here is a link to the current option for the 97-04 Dakotas. Most buying them are modifying trucks for racing so he has options for driveshaft loops.

With my Kenny-Brown X-brace I have been on three wheels pulling into an uneven driveway as the frame just does not flex.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
You will find this in most communities. They beg for parts to be made, someone comes through and spends time/money making them, then those who were begging for the parts are silent. Mainly because they don't understand how much it costs to make limited production custom parts, and either can't afford them, or don't want to pay the price.

Same thing with group buys. People will add their name to the list for participating, then when it comes time to send the money, crickets.
We have experienced this. Mostly with 4th Gen parts though. I won’t spend any more time or money developing 4th Gen. The 5th Gen crowd is generally pretty good. The TRX crowd has been great. I understand why companies focus on the higher price tag vehicles but I also want to provide value to others outside of that. I am fortunate enough to own a TRX but I’ve had many Ram trucks before that and I understand the pain of wanting parts that no one is willing to make. It also has to be a two way street though or you won’t stay in business long. We do really well some of our 5th Gen Ram 1500 parts. Others, not so much. I will always ask what the community wants and produce what we can that makes sense for the customers and us.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Here is a link to the current option for the 97-04 Dakotas. Most buying them are modifying trucks for racing so he has options for driveshaft loops.

With my Kenny-Brown X-brace I have been on three wheels pulling into an uneven driveway as the frame just does not flex.
Nice!

Users who are viewing this thread