5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do I need to catch up on?

Crazy Dane

Reaction score
I just traded my 20202 Rebel Hemi for a 2022 Rebel eco diesel. I am not a big forum guy, but I understand their usefulness. I joined when I got the 2020 and found some useful information. I just spent way too many hours reading through just 4 threads, tuners, side steps, def tank issues and the rebel ed. In the sake of brevity, what is/ are the ones I really need to catch up on?

Thanks, CD

Daverous

Reaction score
None, you'll drive yourself crazy.

Only search if you have something you don't like or can't find in the manual. You have a lot of warranty left to fall back on.

jent

Reaction score
Are you familiar with diesels in general? If not there is tons to learn about the ED. I am another new owner so I can't speak to any success, but my game plan for longevity:
* Use the engine block heater regularly when needed
* Use the front cover when temps are < 0C (both to try and minimize EGR when cold)
* stanadyne fuel additive for lubricity and cetane improvements
* Going to check the DEF injector to see if it needs cleaned every 10 or 20k miles
* Be proactive with oil and fuel filter maintenance

I also have the MX+ and monitor my regen's, but that's mostly just me wanting to know what's going on.

Dustin_Tarditi

Reaction score
Stay on top of maintenance and you'll be fine. Easy to worry and what-if yourself.

Crazy Dane

Reaction score
Are you familiar with diesels in general? If not there is tons to learn about the ED. I am another new owner so I can't speak to any success, but my game plan for longevity:
* Use the engine block heater regularly when needed
* Use the front cover when temps are < 0C (both to try and minimize EGR when cold)
* stanadyne fuel additive for lubricity and cetane improvements
* Going to check the DEF injector to see if it needs cleaned every 10 or 20k miles
* Be proactive with oil and fuel filter maintenance

I also have the MX+ and monitor my regen's, but that's mostly just me wanting to know what's going on.
Thanks to all. I have been driving big diesels for a long time, but this is my first tiny diesel. My main work truck has a 60 series Detroit in it and I have run a F550 quite a bit. I am a big believer that proper PM prevents problems so I've got that covered.

Questions on the block heater, first, is it installed from the factory and all I need is the power cord?

Second, our winters here rarely get below of the 20s in Fahrenheit for the metric folk, and only for a day or 2. The book says I don't need a heater until it gets down to -22F. Would it be good practice to plug in a heater or would it be over kill? I start my truck from indoors and let it warmup these days so no cold driving.

This, stanadyne fuel additive, I am assuming can be found in any major parts store like AutoZone or Oreily's? I am provided Power Service Diesel Kleen at work. https://petroleumservicecompany.com...t=Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost | Power Service

Thanks again, CD

jent

Reaction score
Questions on the block heater, first, is it installed from the factory and all I need is the power cord?
In the 2022 year you had to order it from the factory. Previous years you could just buy the cord, but 2022 you have to get it as an option to get the heater + cord. If you don't have it, I would not worry about it too much.
Second, our winters here rarely get below of the 20s in Fahrenheit for the metric folk, and only for a day or 2. The book says I don't need a heater until it gets down to -22F. Would it be good practice to plug in a heater or would it be over kill? I start my truck from indoors and let it warmup these days so no cold driving.
You don't _need_ the heater until those temps. My reasons for using the heater in warmer temperatures (40F or below) are to try and reduce the EGR cycle as much as possible.

Most people worry about the DEF or DPF, but my fear is the EGR putting soot into the intake, cylinders, oil, etc. For my electric costs, assuming the heater is running 100%, 2 hours of use is less than 50 cents of cost. To me that's worth it if it means that the truck warms up faster and can start using the low pressure EGR, vs the high pressure EGR that occurs while the engine is cold.

It is on a thermostat that maintains at 100F, so using it in warmer weather is at most an inconvenience to me.

Everyone has their additive preferences. Hot Shots, Stanadyne, Kleen, all seem quality from what I have read. Stanadyne just happened to be what I choose, but they all make similar claims really.

Users who are viewing this thread