5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you WITH your Ram this weekend

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, I'm not a waterfowl hunter, or any kind of a hunter for that matter....and I'm looking at this pic and I see a stack of dead geese and a bunch of live ones happily grazing in the background and I'm sitting here thinking "what the heck?, are they that dumb?" ( the geese I mean ! ) Like why didn't they all scatter after the first shot ?
I grew up in Ireland and my dad used to tell a story about 2 guys he knew who went pheasant hunting in the woods. Evidently one day a pheasant was roused in the bushes and took off running down the path ahead of them, as pheasants tend to do. One guy raised his gun, and the other guy said "whoa, you're not going to shoot him when he's running are you?" To which the first guy replied "no, I'm waiting for him to stop" :) I guess the sportsman way to do it was to wait until he took wing and then try to get him. Maybe that's what you guys do.
Anyway, apologies if this seems like a dumb observation, I just don't know anything about bird hunting !
Some of them are decoys I believe but I see some laying down. But a true observation I had to take a double take when I seen it.

Do people eat geese like that?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, I'm not a waterfowl hunter, or any kind of a hunter for that matter....and I'm looking at this pic and I see a stack of dead geese and a bunch of live ones happily grazing in the background and I'm sitting here thinking "what the heck?, are they that dumb?" ( the geese I mean ! ) Like why didn't they all scatter after the first shot ?
I grew up in Ireland and my dad used to tell a story about 2 guys he knew who went pheasant hunting in the woods. Evidently one day a pheasant was roused in the bushes and took off running down the path ahead of them, as pheasants tend to do. One guy raised his gun, and the other guy said "whoa, you're not going to shoot him when he's running are you?" To which the first guy replied "no, I'm waiting for him to stop" :) I guess the sportsman way to do it was to wait until he took wing and then try to get him. Maybe that's what you guys do.
Anyway, apologies if this seems like a dumb observation, I just don't know anything about bird hunting !
All the ones you see in background are just decoys. Fake geese to help trick others into wanting to land where our pit was at.

As for the pheasant story, not sure how it is in Ireland but in the US, it's illegal to shoot them on the ground. They have to be in the air.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Some of them are decoys I believe but I see some laying down. But a true observation I had to take a double take when I seen it.

Do people eat geese like that?
Yes, eat geese just like you would any other bird like chicken, turkey, duck, pheasant, quail, pigeon(yes some people eat pigeon)

TSL

Reaction score
All the ones you see in background are just decoys. Fake geese to help trick others into wanting to land where our pit was at.

As for the pheasant story, not sure how it is in Ireland but in the US, it's illegal to shoot them on the ground. They have to be in the air.
ah, that makes sense. Well, they are good decoys then, had me fooled :)
Likewise in Ireland, the birds have to be airborne to shoot.
Also, back in the day, before my time, goose was the standard fare for the Christmas dinner table in Ireland. When I was growing up it was turkey, but it would more typically have been goose in years gone by and I think some folks may still prepare goose for Christmas. It would be a more greasy meat I think. I've never had it, but I do enjoy lamb which is likewise a bit more oily than beef for example.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The problem I have with geese and ducks is plucking them. Back in the day there were waterfowl pluckers all over the Eastern Shore of Maryland, now I can't find any. Lately we've might pluck one or two a season but mostly breast them out, which is kind of a waste. On occasion we will skin them, cook the meat down, pick it, and make goose and gravy. If anyone know of any pluckers on the Eastern Shore let me know.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The problem I have with geese and ducks is plucking them. Back in the day there were waterfowl pluckers all over the Eastern Shore of Maryland, now I can't find any. Lately we've might pluck one or two a season but mostly breast them out, which is kind of a waste. On occasion we will skin them, cook the meat down, pick it, and make goose and gravy. If anyone know of any pluckers on the Eastern Shore let me know.
They were only breasting these. The family that was sponsoring the hunt don't pluck their geese.

Users who are viewing this thread