5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you forgo, to add later, to save on monthly payments?

MrSixStrings12

Reaction score
About to go to the local dealer to order my Ram 1500. I'm planning on forgoing a few things to save some money in the long run. Things like the bed package and running boards. I think its better to not add the package and invest a little elbow grease (or even lesser money) for some items. Ram prices running boards at about $750 when I could get them for MUCH cheaper from some online dealers. Feel the same way with the bed package. Almost $1k for some adjustable tie downs, the bed step, and some paint on liner? Bed liner is under $100 and give 'er some time and you'll be able to get the bed step for pretty cheap from a junk yard.

What did you pass on when you got your Ram to later add on? Or maybe what's worth getting from the get go?

PM-Performance

Reaction score
The difference you mention is simply doing your own labor later and non oem fit and finish.
Honestly the price of the entire bed package setup is cheaper than just the bediner alone from other brands.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I went with aftermarket for the side steps, tonneau cover, and bed liner (professional installation) more because I didn't like the OEM versions of these things, not because I thought I could find them cheaper.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Although it took me some time to come to this conclusion, I wish I had ordered the factory spray-in bed liner. That would've gotten me the rear bed lights and the side brackets. When I ordered I wasn't quite sure what I was going to do for a bed liner. I had two previous Bed Rugs, but I wasn't sure I was going the same route. As it turned out I went with a spray-on anyways. I can't remember for sure, but the factory bed package price at the time I ordered was around $500+. I may have saved a hundred dollars going aftermarket, but I've seen the job the factory does and I've been impressed. And, of course, I don't have any rear bed lighting.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045440 miles.

DivingOtter

Reaction score
I've been pondering the same question and came to the following conclusions.... If it's electronic or has electronics, I'd rather have the factory install it (with the warranty). For other items like non-electronic running boards, rear wheel well covers, etc.... I can do that on my own later when I have the spare cash to afford them. Some items are just easier to have factory build though... Research how to install what you want to leave off before you 'leave it off'. Bumpers and minor lifts are not that hard unless you aren't mechanically inclined or don't have the tools or a vehicle lift.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Although it took me some time to come to this conclusion, I wish I had ordered the factory spray-in bed liner. That would've gotten me the rear bed lights and the side brackets. When I ordered I wasn't quite sure what I was going to do for a bed liner. I had two previous Bed Rugs, but I wasn't sure I was going the same route. As it turned out I went with a spray-on anyways. I can't remember for sure, but the factory bed package price at the time I ordered was around $500+. I may have saved a hundred dollars going aftermarket, but I've seen the job the factory does and I've been impressed. And, of course, I don't have any rear bed lighting.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045440 miles.
I passed on the Bed Utility Group (BUG) also. I put some of the blame on the sales man for not explaining the value in the package. The BUG is a good price for the package but I think it was over $600 in Oct. 2018 when I ordered still a good deal. I have spent close to $300 for the bed utility rails, but I like my bed light set up better than the OEM, no spray in liner - yet.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Factory electronics are hard to add after purchase. I had a 2003 Ford prior to this so didn't really consider how difficult it would be to add OEM things I didn't get. I would recommend getting the features you want when you buy.

I compromised. I wanted ventilated seats, proximity entry, and adaptive cruise control as well as a bunch of other options. That was going to cost me an extra $4000 to get a Laramie with those things. That's not too bad but the deals were an additional $5000 off a Big Horn so that made it a $9000 swing in price. I saved some coin and got a Big Horn with all the packages I wanted instead of getting a Laramie with fewer options.

I still wish I would have gotten the Laramie with leather seats and the extra features until I make my monthly payment, then I'm okay with my Big Horn.

Running boards, tonneau covers, etc., are mechanical things that are easily added after and can add the personal touch to the truck (and are definitely less expensive to boot). Easy enough to go without and add after purchase.

I got the BUG and think it was a good deal. Spray-in bedliner, cargo rails, bed step and LED lights.

Last edited:

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've dealt with that type of thing before, options I wish I had gotten but didn't, on earlier trucks. Then it turned out you needing to be an electrical engineer or purchase wiring harnesses, adapters, etc. etc. to make things work.

That is why I went Longhorn or Limited with my last couple, I want a lot of electronics-related toys.

I've been pondering the same question and came to the following conclusions.... If it's electronic or has electronics, I'd rather have the factory install it (with the warranty). For other items like non-electronic running boards, rear wheel well covers, etc.... I can do that on my own later when I have the spare cash to afford them. Some items are just easier to have factory build though... Research how to install what you want to leave off before you 'leave it off'. Bumpers and minor lifts are not that hard unless you aren't mechanically inclined or don't have the tools or a vehicle lift.

This right here is good advice!

U

User_3336

I got the OEM running boards from the dealer. I ended up paying around $540. There was a 15% off accessories coupon that the dealer honored

Jelectric

Reaction score
About to go to the local dealer to order my Ram 1500. I'm planning on forgoing a few things to save some money in the long run. Things like the bed package and running boards. I think its better to not add the package and invest a little elbow grease (or even lesser money) for some items. Ram prices running boards at about $750 when I could get them for MUCH cheaper from some online dealers. Feel the same way with the bed package. Almost $1k for some adjustable tie downs, the bed step, and some paint on liner? Bed liner is under $100 and give 'er some time and you'll be able to get the bed step for pretty cheap from a junk yard.

What did you pass on when you got your Ram to later add on? Or maybe what's worth getting from the get go?
I just just picked up my 2021 big horn Jan 4th. First Ram and new to this forum. So the only thing I wanted from dealership was bedliner, 12" screen, and panoramic roof. I figured I could also save on my monthly payment this way. FACEBOOK MARKETPLACE is great for this. Was able to find tonneau cover, for Mopar floor mats, and even found 22" oem laramie rims and tires.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Go with the factory bed utility group - worth the $, esp considering all the work required to get the same. The factory spray-in is better than any aftermarket spray-in. The load rails have proven very useful for me: I even added one across the front of the box.

Understand the thought on the running boards, but after shipping, the savings wasn’t worth the trouble. YMMV.

i did mud flaps, floor mats, Limited leather dash parts, tonneau, rear seat storage, bed mat and wheels after the fact...

two things I would do differently: ditch the factory anti-spin (their diff not worth the $ - if going factory, get the e-locker) and 3.92 (next time 3.21).

MrSixStrings12

Reaction score
Ordered her today. I ended up doing the BUG and rear wheel liners. After thinking it over a bit, the savings weren't worth the hassle of those 2. Gonna get the tonneau and running boards after the fact still

steveved

Reaction score
The factory steps and tonneau are way over priced. I saved nearly $1800 buying them afterwards.

KCViper

Reaction score
Ordered her today. I ended up doing the BUG and rear wheel liners. After thinking it over a bit, the savings weren't worth the hassle of those 2. Gonna get the tonneau and running boards after the fact still
I believe that to be a smart decision and something I also added when I ordered last Friday! I like having a spray in liner that is covered via a factory warranty and it's really only a couple of hundred more than an aftermarket spray in liner! Plus, you are getting usable other things included. I added the power running boards but am disappointed that I did not get some kind of credit for the fixed running boards that came with the night package!!

Users who are viewing this thread