5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What (cheap) aftermarket brake controllers work

Farmerbrake

Reaction score
Hey all,
I have a 19 1500 laramie that didnt come with the brake controller. Since we have a dairy farm and have a 2500 diesel, and no bumper pull trailers, I wasnt too worried. A friend wants me to pull their horse trailer so I thought I'd use a cheap controller that we have from our one defunct farm truck (yes, it worked properly the last time we used it a month ago). Wired it up right and tested the hookup with our cattle trailer and error messages galore...
Did a search and found 2 people reported a similar issue.
So I'm thinking either
A) only 2 people on this forum are using a cheap controller
Or b) it might just be the specific ones we are using?
So what are the cheaper options that are out there since I won't be using it too much?

odhinnhrafn

Reaction score
I installed a Tekonsha P3 in my previous Colorado (before they had the integrated controller), and I loved it. 0 issues and did the job very handily.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

foneguy

Reaction score
yea tekshona is inexpensive yet very reliable had mine since 1999! still works

Charon

Reaction score
x3 Tekonsha P3, had one in my F250.
I've got to say though for the extra buck the Mopar one looks clean, it's not a hard install and it wont bump your knees.
My dad has a after market in his 17 Ram and it's bloody annoying. They have to be as flat as possible to measure momentum so there aren't any good places to stick it.

odhinnhrafn

Reaction score
x3 Tekonsha P3, had one in my F250.
I've got to say though for the extra buck the Mopar one looks clean, it's not a hard install and it wont bump your knees.
My dad has a after market in his 17 Ram and it's bloody annoying. They have to be as flat as possible to measure momentum so there aren't any good places to stick it.
They don't have to be flat, anymore. They use multi axis accelerometers. They just need to be parallel to direction of travel (not crooked or ****ed). That being said, the clean look of an integrated one is better. I paid 120 for the parts, 140 for the flash (min. 1 hour labor charge for a 20 minute job...).

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread