5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Causes Alarm to Go Off?

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Anyone know what would set the Alarm to go off randomly? Last night I parked, locked the doors, walked away from truck, and all was good. No alarm or anything going off. 5 minutes later the truck starts blaring the horn over and over. I rushed to go check on it and the lock or unlock button on the key fob would not function and the alarm kept blaring. I had to open the driver door with the door handle (just open like regular) and then the alarm finally stopped. I looked around the truck and saw no noticeable signs of damage or any tampering and I would like to think nobody was around it when it went off. Any ideas what would cause this?

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My vote is for the panic button. Done it a few times myself with random button pushes while keys are in my pocket.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Accidentally set off alarm once while trying to get remote start. I have been on forum for 2 years do not recall anyone having issues with the alarm going off.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Accidental panic button press?
This could be a possibility I suppose. Funny I did not hear it until I was already inside and the truck is pretty far away. I will test out the remote start from inside my house to see if it reaches. If so, then perhaps the panic button was it. Is the only way to turn off the alarm is panic button is pressed is by pressing panic button again? I had to open the door to get the alarm to stop (did not try to hit the panic button but should have).

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This could be a possibility I suppose. Funny I did not hear it until I was already inside and the truck is pretty far away. I will test out the remote start from inside my house to see if it reaches. If so, then perhaps the panic button was it. Is the only way to turn off the alarm is panic button is pressed is by pressing panic button again? I had to open the door to get the alarm to stop (did not try to hit the panic button but should have).

Yes. Hit it again and things go silent

I’ve accidentally hit panic many times over years of cars/keys with this function. Usually when I try to carry multiple small things all at once.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've set the alarm off a few times when I'm inside my house. It's kind of annoying, but pressing the panic button again shuts it off. These fobs are kind of weird when it comes to range. I used to park directly in front of my office window in the parking lot at work. It was maybe 75 feet away, direct line of sight. But I could rarely get the remote start to work from my office window. Lately I've started parking in a different spot, which is almost double the distance from my window (wider parking spot, less of a chance for door dings). And the funny thing is the remote start works every time from there.

RJS

Reaction score
Same thing here. It can be activated by my keys in my pocket occasionally. Pressing the panic button shuts it off. The fob has considerable range at times to make this happen.

silly34

Reaction score
So how about this…started truck remotely (factory), 5-10mins the alarm (horn) starts going off and truck shut off. It is locked and no signs of damage. Interestingly enough, the engine stalled while driving later that day, same issue others have experienced with eTorque.

truckless

Reaction score
I did an accidental panic on my HOUSE ALARM while mowing the lawn. Next thing I had a couple of cops on my lawn....and subsequently a bill for the false alarm. 🤬
Never used a fob for my house alarm since.

Users who are viewing this thread