5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What can you actually do with an 8.4 with NO Navi ?

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m not knocking the novelty of the 12 but Nav offerings from OEM,S is a joke compared to google maps or wave especially 2 yrs after purchase.
Up here we’re we were gloves a lot due to weather the 8” the better pick. I sat and played with both for a long time before making my decision. If the HK audio available in the 8” with its more usable dials and buttons I would have been completely satisfied.

Agreed, once you start using Google, you realize the traffic it keeps you out of and the time it saves you by having updated roads and construction. I’ve compared my 19s directions on 100 mile trips with Apple and Google, Google is just smarter, saves you time, saves you miles.

jmpow79`

Reaction score
OP, make sure you set your phone resolution to FHD, if not the android auto maps will be blurry and you won't be able to touch certain areas of the screen. There are issues with the AA implementation on our units and phones running in WQHD mode.

Cerwin96

Reaction score
Something to consider for those who wished they had the app for remote start. Ponder this " if you can remote start your truck through the app so can a hacker." Just sayin... On that note I had a aftermarket remote start with app access for my wifes flex and it was a life saver because she locked her keys in the car and I was able to unlock it for her.

On topic, Android auto with Waze suffices for my navi needs.

c_l_phillips72

Reaction score
If you have a Non-NAV 8.4", can the dealer replace it with a NAV 8.4"? I'm having lots of issues with CarPlay.

eduardolalo11

Reaction score
If you have a Non-NAV 8.4", can the dealer replace it with a NAV 8.4"? I'm having lots of issues with CarPlay.
what type of issues are you having?? I am not getting the apple carplay to work I also have the 8.4 uconnect non-nav and the usb 1 and usb 2 are charging but not detecting any media?? do you know any solution to that? it sucks that I have a brand new truck but the apple carplay isn't working. I hope that someone in this forum is able to figure out what is wrong with my usb ports. oh I also tried a usb thumb drive with music on it and no luck it would not detect it either :(

afulki

Reaction score
My issue is, UC 8.4 without without NAV also doesn't have WiFi, with a teenage daughter having WiFi in my GMC was a godsend! After discovering the lack of WiFi with my non-nav it was obvious on the brochures, but surprised the dealer didn't mention it as I had certainly talked about my desire for WiFi. Looking for a reasonably priced alternative for truck based WiFi...

afulki

Reaction score
what type of issues are you having?? I am not getting the apple carplay to work I also have the 8.4 uconnect non-nav and the usb 1 and usb 2 are charging but not detecting any media?? do you know any solution to that? it sucks that I have a brand new truck but the apple carplay isn't working. I hope that someone in this forum is able to figure out what is wrong with my usb ports. oh I also tried a usb thumb drive with music on it and no luck it would not detect it either :(

There's a whole other thread, but I had the same issue, plug the phone in before turning on the truck! Make sure the phone is unlocked and answer all the questions on both screens.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My issue is, UC 8.4 without without NAV also doesn't have WiFi, with a teenage daughter having WiFi in my GMC was a godsend! After discovering the lack of WiFi with my non-nav it was obvious on the brochures, but surprised the dealer didn't mention it as I had certainly talked about my desire for WiFi. Looking for a reasonably priced alternative for truck based WiFi...
Probably much more economical to get an aftermarket wifi module that plugs into your obd2 from a cell carrier. They have to be plentiful down in the USA as we have them up here in Canada were we are usually way behind.

afulki

Reaction score
Probably much more economical to get an aftermarket wifi module that plugs into your obd2 from a cell carrier. They have to be plentiful down in the USA as we have them up here in Canada were we are usually way behind.

Hi Chippy, yes there are solutions, but non are as good (in my opinion) as a dedicated system with access to roof mounted antennas. Plus an OBD II solution puts the device in the most shielded part of the truck. Also, if my GMC was anything to go by, the ODB II connector is constantly powered, meaning anything plugged in is draining the battery (I don't know about the one in the RAM).

TimG

Reaction score
There's a whole other thread, but I had the same issue, plug the phone in before turning on the truck! Make sure the phone is unlocked and answer all the questions on both screens.

Just for kicks and grins I tried this process about an hour ago to try and fix my compass issue and IT WORKED!!!!:eek::eek::eek: At least, it seems to be working. It completely reloaded the android auto app to my phone. Then it ran through the get-started portion of the setup on the 8.4. When maps opened on the big screen, it showed my "Home" as still in Montana (I live in MD now, and already had this updated on the google maps app on the phone). So, once I cleared that out of memory, and drove around for about 30 mins, my location seems to be accurate and the compass has been visible (and accurate) after turning the truck off and back on multiple times.
Im going to have a blast explaining this to the UConnect engineers Ive been working with for the past month trying to get this fixed. :ROFLMAO:

smiles5619

Reaction score
Hey Folks, I have tried everything to get my Andriod Auto to work as it relates to the Navigation. I use the USB Cord and AA comes up no issues. I hit the Maps button in AA and it appears to load, then the screen goes blank. At this point AA freezes, can't go back, can't go into phone or anything. I have to unplug it. I've tried resetting it, uninstalling AA and G maps. I've tried this with Waze too but no go. Sometimes when I reinstall AA after deleting it, Maps will comes on. I will leave the truck and come back later and the same issue happens. any suggestions? oh and Ive tried several different USB cords. I have 8.4 (non NAV).

Kidder

Reaction score
Hey Folks, I have tried everything to get my Andriod Auto to work as it relates to the Navigation. I use the USB Cord and AA comes up no issues. I hit the Maps button in AA and it appears to load, then the screen goes blank. At this point AA freezes, can't go back, can't go into phone or anything. I have to unplug it. I've tried resetting it, uninstalling AA and G maps. I've tried this with Waze too but no go. Sometimes when I reinstall AA after deleting it, Maps will comes on. I will leave the truck and come back later and the same issue happens. any suggestions? oh and Ive tried several different USB cords. I have 8.4 (non NAV).
After plugging in, Wlwhen you touch the Android Auto button on the radio, you should see an arrow that will allow Waze or Google Maps. This is on the radio.

Once you plug in, you don't use the actual phone at all. I will take some pics tomorrow of my screen. It's the 12 but it works the same. My wife has the 8.4 in her Pacifica so same concept, by the way and hers works fine with Waze.

Make sure you are using an OEM cord.

smiles5619

Reaction score
After plugging in, Wlwhen you touch the Android Auto button on the radio, you should see an arrow that will allow Waze or Google Maps. This is on the radio.

Once you plug in, you don't use the actual phone at all. I will take some pics tomorrow of my screen. It's the 12 but it works the same. My wife has the 8.4 in her Pacifica so same concept, by the way and hers works fine with Waze.

Make sure you are using an OEM cord.

Thanks for the info. I have however been doing that :( I plug in my phone via USB. The AA comes up on my 8.4 Uconnect screen. I hit the AA button on the Uconnect screen and everything loads. I hit the button for maps and it tries to move over to maps but then the screen goes blank and then AA freezes. I've attached some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20190205_1015177.jpg
    IMG_20190205_1015177.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20190205_1015251.jpg
    IMG_20190205_1015251.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20190205_1015308.jpg
    IMG_20190205_1015308.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 34

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have however been doing that :( I plug in my phone via USB. The AA comes up on my 8.4 Uconnect screen. I hit the AA button on the Uconnect screen and everything loads. I hit the button for maps and it tries to move over to maps but then the screen goes blank and then AA freezes. I've attached some pics.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the app... I had some issues syncing everything up the first time around and I used a new cord as well.

smiles5619

Reaction score
Try uninstalling and reinstalling the app... I had some issues syncing everything up the first time around and I used a new cord as well.

Tried that too lol. Tried uninstalling both AA and Google maps and reinstalling, still no go. I've changed settings in my phone to ensure battery saver wasn't on, etc. No go.

Kidder

Reaction score
Tried that too lol. Tried uninstalling both AA and Google maps and reinstalling, still no go. I've changed settings in my phone to ensure battery saver wasn't on, etc. No go.

What phone do you have? Do you have a friend that can try using theirs with Android Auto to see if your phone is the problem?

I'm grasping at straws. You've tried everything. Can you confirm the software on your radio is the latest version? And, are you using an OEM cord? Mine would only charge (not start Android Auto) with an aftermarket cord.

smiles5619

Reaction score
What phone do you have? Do you have a friend that can try using theirs with Android Auto to see if your phone is the problem?

I'm grasping at straws. You've tried everything. Can you confirm the software on your radio is the latest version? And, are you using an OEM cord? Mine would only charge (not start Android Auto) with an aftermarket cord.

I appreciate the help for sure! It is the OEM cord. I unfortunately have to admit it's a BlackBerry Motion (work phone). It would be good to see if another phone that is Andriod run have similar issues. Thanks!

smiles5619

Reaction score
UPDATE! So out of sheer accident, I had the AA app running on my phone before I attached it via USB to Uconnect. Well, it fixed the issue! The NAV works with no issue!?!? Odd but I'll take it! Just need to remember to run the app before plugging it in.

Kidder

Reaction score
UPDATE! So out of sheer accident, I had the AA app running on my phone before I attached it via USB to Uconnect. Well, it fixed the issue! The NAV works with no issue!?!? Odd but I'll take it! Just need to remember to run the app before plugging it in.
Make sure you have Autolaunch set to on in the settings menu. It will Autolaunch when connected to Bluetooth.

Edit: Android Auto settings on your phone, to be clear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread