5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What can you actually do with an 8.4 with NO Navi ?

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I tried to hook my phone to it and have Waze show up on the screen to no avail. It will do Android Auto ( S8+ ) but that’s with my phone plugged in. Not a deal breaker but am curious as to if there are any options afforded to me.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m iPhone and via Carplay use google maps / wave / tidal etc. Love it specifically purchased non nav equipped as those maps Hillbilly **** in comparison.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m solely on Android so I’m not sure if I need to add anything to my phone to make use of this screen lol.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have the latest Waze app installed?

You can play music or stream music if you use one those type of services via android auto. Other than that, use it as a concierge if you will with the ok google command.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Android Auto is sweet. Having built in navigation is so unnecessary. I don't know why anyone would pay extra for it.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
ok then open android auto on radio and u should see waze app

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just checked and I have the latest Waze on my S8+, so I’ll let my teenaged daughters mess with it lol.
Waze is accessed through the android auto home screen on the uconnect screen.

Select the map screen. Diamond with arrow Pic 1
Press the map button again to pull up the map option This time the diamond with the arrow will have a little upside down triangle next to it Pic 2
program selection screen comes up, select waze Pic 3
waze is now your map/GPS program. Pic 4

One caveat I have noticed with waze and my Samsung S8 is that it loses GPS signal if the screen on your phone turns off for power saving mode so I have the phone set to keep the screen on when plugged in. PM me if you need help with keeping your screen on your phone, Theres a trick involved on the latest Samsungs.

Attachments

• 20181207_102030.jpg
    20181207_102030.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 20181207_102042.jpg
    20181207_102042.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 20181207_102115.jpg
    20181207_102115.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 20181207_102211.jpg
    20181207_102211.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 119

Livinfast85

Reaction score
Android Auto is sweet. Having built in navigation is so unnecessary. I don't know why anyone would pay extra for it.

I thought this same thing, but now I'm kicking myself. BECAUSE without the navi enabled 8.4 you can not start your vehicle via mobile app.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought this same thing, but now I'm kicking myself. BECAUSE without the navi enabled 8.4 you can not start your vehicle via mobile app.
Agreed, That's one of things I miss from my GMC, GM also included the remote start app service for 5 years, I think you get a year with Ram then it costs like 200 dollars a year for the service to be able to remote start through the app, it comes with other stuff as well but kind of pricey if all you want is that one function.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I can see that. However, I have remote start, so it's not a big deal for me unless I happen to be parked outside of the range of the key fob.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I can see that. However, I have remote start, so it's not a big deal for me unless I happen to be parked outside of the range of the key fob.
I have actually been pretty impressed with the range on the key fob for remote start.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Waze is accessed through the android auto home screen on the uconnect screen.

Select the map screen. Diamond with arrow Pic 1
Press the map button again to pull up the map option This time the diamond with the arrow will have a little upside down triangle next to it Pic 2
program selection screen comes up, select waze Pic 3
waze is now your map/GPS program. Pic 4

One caveat I have noticed with waze and my Samsung S8 is that it loses GPS signal if the screen on your phone turns off for power saving mode so I have the phone set to keep the screen on when plugged in. PM me if you need help with keeping your screen on your phone, Theres a trick involved on the latest Samsungs.

Porboy
I made this walk through for getting the phone screen to stay on when plugged in. Same process for just all about Samsung galaxys. Hit me up if you run into issues.

Attachments

• Screen on while charging S8.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 44

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Agree to a point, but with the 12" screen in my case, the built-in navi is full screen, which is pretty awesome (android/carplay are half screen).

Also, I find the stock Navi to be quite good actually, so much so that I have been using it exclusively. And the truck's navi does not need a cell signal. Not sure how mobile phones work in dead areas navigation-wise. I know they all have built-in GPS nowadays, but my experience has not been all that positive when signal is bad.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agree to a point, but with the 12" screen in my case, the built-in navi is full screen, which is pretty awesome (android/carplay are half screen).

Also, I find the stock Navi to be quite good actually, so much so that I have been using it exclusively. And the truck's navi does not need a cell signal. Not sure how mobile phones work in dead areas navigation-wise. I know they all have built-in GPS nowadays, but my experience has not been all that positive when signal is bad.
I love Google Maps. I travel a lot and I've had good luck with my cell service (Verizon). Plus, I don't have the 12" screen or the navigation, so I'm just trying to make myself feel better!!

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I’m not knocking the novelty of the 12 but Nav offerings from OEM,S is a joke compared to google maps or wave especially 2 yrs after purchase.
Up here we’re we were gloves a lot due to weather the 8” the better pick. I sat and played with both for a long time before making my decision. If the HK audio available in the 8” with its more usable dials and buttons I would have been completely satisfied.

Users who are viewing this thread