5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What can I expect for durability of paint on the front end/hood/grill?

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Also mirrors (body colored). I have the Diamond Black Crystal Pearl with the Sport package. Does it hold up pretty well to chips and scratches? Should I just expect to do a lot of touching up? Or should I put some sort of protection up there?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had PPF installed a week after getting the truck, got it on the bumper including the two plastic pieces under the headlights, brow and front of the hood. I did not get the mirrors done but I haven't found any ruck chips on them yet. At a minimum I would get the bumper done as I've heard from others without PPF that it gets chipped up really easy and fast.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
I had PPF installed a week after getting the truck, got it on the bumper including the two plastic pieces under the headlights, brow and front of the hood. I did not get the mirrors done but I haven't found any ruck chips on them yet. At a minimum I would get the bumper done as I've heard from others without PPF that it gets chipped up really easy and fast.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is "PPF"? Polypropylene film?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had Xpel on my 2014 and now Suntek on my 2019. Both are good brands, the Xpel is slightly thicker so it may take a bigger impact but the Suntek is a little less noticeable where you have a line since it is a little thinner. My installer does both but prefers Suntek. If your close to Cincinnati, Clear Bra Ohio is one of the top installers around.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
I had Xpel on my 2014 and now Suntek on my 2019. Both are good brands, the Xpel is slightly thicker so it may take a bigger impact but the Suntek is a little less noticeable where you have a line since it is a little thinner. My installer does both but prefers Suntek. If your close to Cincinnati, Clear Bra Ohio is one of the top installers around.
Thanks...not close to Cincinnati but will check locally to see who and what I can find. (Evansville, IN area)

arptsprt

Reaction score
Maybe a necropost but...

2020 Rebel Granite Crystal purchased on Oct 23...

The durability of the paint and windshield on my new truck sucks. No other way to put it.

For transparency, I do live in snow country where gravel, salt and mag chloride are part of life on the roads...

But... the “big city” is about 300 miles round trip all highway and interstate. Two round trips to said big city including today has resulted in multiple rock chips on the bumper, grill, hood and windshield including windshield chips that needed repair by Safelite via my insurance.

Before you say, well duh, what do you expect driving with those road conditions? I traded away a 2012 F150 Lariat in Sterling Gray that I drove the same trip multiple times over the 9 years. Exact same conditions and encounters with gravel and vehicles. The truck was in pristine condition when I traded it with 64,000 miles. I literally could count on one hand the number of rock chips on the hood of the F150. The windshield, while pitted here and there, was still original and in great shape. I already have more chips on the front of my Ram than I have fingers and toes.

In addition to lack of durability, it seems like the slipstream of the moving over the hood is conducive to chip damage to the very front of the hood and the windshield.

I guess I’ll look at a stupid bug shield/rock deflector or clear bra. But damage already done.

Really disappointing and irritating for a $60k truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online