5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What brakes do you recommend (time to replace)

spinxt

Reaction score
I'm at about 95,000 miles and it's time to replace the brakes on my 1500 Laramie. What is everyone using for replacement brakes? Stock? Aftermarket?
I recently put PowerStop heavy duty slotted/drilled rotors and pads on my Grand Cherokee and they are crazy noisy. They click like crazy to the point where I've taken the front brakes apart and resssembled twice. From what I can tell, it's the actual holes/ and slots making clicking noise as the rotor spins.

I'm very disappointed in PowerStop and looking for another option that users have had success with on the RAM 1500.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm at about 95,000 miles and it's time to replace the brakes on my 1500 Laramie. What is everyone using for replacement brakes? Stock? Aftermarket?
I recently put PowerStop heavy duty slotted/drilled rotors and pads on my Grand Cherokee and they are crazy noisy. They click like crazy to the point where I've taken the front brakes apart and resssembled twice. From what I can tell, it's the actual holes/ and slots making clicking noise as the rotor spins.

I'm very disappointed in PowerStop and looking for another option that users have had success with on the RAM 1500.
Don't buy drilled rotors. They don't help, and actually hurt braking performance. Unless you are sending thousands of dollars on custom performance rotors, the cheap cross drilled doors you buy most places are just regular rotors that someone drilled out. The internal fins used to direct airflow aren't designed for the cross drilled holes. And it only reduces braking surface and weakens the rotor. Slotted are fine as the slots help to keep the brake pad surface clean.

You probably don't even need new rotors. Just buy some good heavy duty pads and call it a day.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just did my front rotors at 60K miles, (see my post "Holy Brake pads" above). I went with NAPA premium adaptive rotors, their best. Couldn't be happier. Smooth as silk, zinc coated all over, and at $114 each, pretty good pricewise. My pads were so good, I left them as is, even though I had a new set ready to go,(Carquest). Will throw those pads on at 100K miles.

Users who are viewing this thread