5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are you guys using on the plastic trim?

drew7811

Reaction score
Just curious what everyone is using on the plastic trim? I have some areas where I guess I got a little sloppy with the wax and there is some white residue. Thanks in advance.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
It's been a while, but I used to use Mothers Back to Black for cleaning up wax residue. It seemed to do a good job of removing the wax and returning the plastic trim to its more natural black color and condition.

blubyu

Reaction score
The two best items are the following:

Solution Finish for a longer lasting product or CarPro PERL for a similar result but not as long lasting.

snj1013

Reaction score
Last a long time, but you do need to apply very carefully. It is a coating, which is why it last so long, but can be difficult to remove to you apply to areas where you don't want the product, such as glass surfaces.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
TS-1
I used this on a cladded Avalanche I had years ago. I think I was the only Avalanche owner without faded cladding. It was the TSB fix by GM for faded plastic. It really works well, super EASY to apply, and looked new when I traded it in 7 years later. 20200305_172959.jpg 20200305_172954.jpg

Attachments

• 20200305_172954.jpg
    20200305_172954.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 33

Ranger482

Reaction score
303 for me as well. Have been using it for a long time and has always served me well. I buy it in the gallon size. Fairly economical and that is usually plenty for a couple of years, including my boat and 3 vehicles.

maddog49

Reaction score
A regular pencil eraser will remove wax. Detailed trick

drew7811

Reaction score
Morning everyone. I ended up trying CarGuys plastic restorer this weekend. It went on easy and the immediate results were quite great. It will be interesting to see the longevity I get out of it, but so far i'm happy. Thanks again for all the input.

Santa

Reaction score
Last a long time, but you do need to apply very carefully. It is a coating, which is why it last so long, but can be difficult to remove to you apply to areas where you don't want the product, such as glass surfaces.
CeraKote ruined much of my plastic HOWEVER they DID replace my ruined trim parts! It works fine on smooth surfaces but if the surface has a little texture it will have white dots everywhere! I wrote them and they said it is virtually impossible to remove.
CeraKote thinks that it may have something to do with the plastic mold release. It only seems to be an issue on brand new vehicles. CeraKote replaced my ruined plastic parts!!! I will do the installation myself.

Last edited:

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I mostly use 303 but also use Wolfgang Trim Sealant in areas that take more of a beating as it lasts longer.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Another vote for 303, but first use a stiff bristled brush w/ some APC or alcohol to remove the residue.
Solution finish would work, but it’s the wrong product for your application (it’s for restoring faded and dried out trim. Very expensive and overkill in this case).

I no longer use any type of wax that leaves residue, and switched to trim-friendly products for this reason (right now, TW hybrid solutions SiO2 coat and wet wax).

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread