5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are these rails?

themust

Reaction score
Bought this 21 Limited and these rails were along the inside of the bed above the factory bed rails. Removed 'em and still curious what they are and if anybody wants/needs them for any reason. Rail 1.jpg Rail 2.jpg Rail 3.jpg Rail 4.jpg

themust

Reaction score
I thought of that but they were mounted too low and it already had that crappy vinyl tri-fold on it from the factory (which I removed to put my old hard tri-fold on. See threads on Right-on brackets for the saga of mounting hard tonneaus on MFT tailgates). They were just above the existing rail mounts. See pic. Rail 5.jpg

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Id like to know in what scenario this divider system is not applicable. In the Building phase the divider is listed as "not available in some configurations". Anyone know what thats about ?
Id like to have it, but still dont know if it will be part of my build !

wills446

Reaction score
Id like to know in what scenario this divider system is not applicable. In the Building phase the divider is listed as "not available in some configurations". Anyone know what thats about ?
Id like to have it, but still dont know if it will be part of my build !
I believe the divider from the factory only comes if you have ramboxes. If you don't have ramboxes, there is a different divider that is available, but pretty sure it is only sold separately.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep - unless things have changed in the past year or so, the divider is part of the Bed Utility Group, and only for the Rambox bed style. You can buy a Mopar divider for regular beds but it’s not available as a factory option.

themust

Reaction score
Yup. Those are the rails. They were mounted in my non-RamBox bed. I purchased my truck used so prior owner must have put ‘em in aftermarket. Going in the recycling bin Wednesday unless anyone claims em.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
I believe the divider from the factory only comes if you have ramboxes. If you don't have ramboxes, there is a different divider that is available, but pretty sure it is only sold separately.
Thanks for that. Simple explanation like this would go a long way on the build site. I love the little "more info" buttons that explain squat. Deliberate omissions so we ask a dealer i suppose.

themust

Reaction score
Yeas, and for those of us who buy used, it can get even more confusing when you’re trying to figure out what mods the prior owner may have made. Those rails, for example. I bought mine CPO from a Ram dealer and didn’t know it had been leveled, and had very different tires than original type/size.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Yup. Those are the rails. They were mounted in my non-RamBox bed. I purchased my truck used so prior owner must have put ‘em in aftermarket. Going in the recycling bin Wednesday unless anyone claims em.
what good are the rails without the cross thing that holds the cargo?

themust

Reaction score
Adjustable tie downs.
The adjustable tie downs are different rails that I still have in my trucks. They come with the BUG. They are unobtrusive and I haven’t used em yet. The divider for these aftermarket rails might be used if one also had the lateral “fence” as in the pic in the link that someone posted here in this thread. So maybe to have one type of thing divided from another type of thing in the bed? I dunno what I might need it for but someone must need it for some reason.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
anyway
if you live near sacramento take them to tank house bbq and ask for the head chef, tell him they are for his step dad.

themust

Reaction score
anyway
if you live near sacramento take them to tank house bbq and ask for the head chef, tell him they are for his step dad.
Well, I’m 3 hours away but I have a friend who goes back and forth and I know he’d deliver the rails for a nice rack. Of ribs.

Users who are viewing this thread