5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are the odds!!

Geddyflea

Reaction score
I opened my power sliding window a few weeks ago, thought nothing of it. When I got home and shut it and noticed a wire sticking up. Lo and behold the black "box" that connects the wiring to the rear window defroster had broken off! I took it to the dealers service department and they think the "box" had gotten snagged by the loops that stick up from behind the rear driver side seat back and tore it off while opening or closing the window. They are replacing the entire rear glass under warranty. Without the warranty it would cost $1300 plus labor 😲!

Attachments

• 20220423_090445.jpg
    20220423_090445.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 207
  • 20220423_090443.jpg
    20220423_090443.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 205
  • 20220423_090433.jpg
    20220423_090433.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 205

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I opened my power sliding window a few weeks ago, thought nothing of it. When I got home and shut it and noticed a wire sticking up. Lo and behold the black "box" that connects the wiring to the rear window defroster had broken off! I took it to the dealers service department and they think the "box" had gotten snagged by the loops that stick up from behind the rear driver side seat back and tore it off while opening or closing the window. They are replacing the entire rear glass under warranty. Without the warranty it would cost $1300 plus labor 😲!

Why would they replace the back window due to something popping off from a loop on the back seat? I wouldn't want them tearing apart my truck unless in was necessary.

If you search the forums you'll see you are far from the first person this has happened too, the solution has always been to put the box back on the window. Not replace the window for some reason? I guess glass half full, maybe your window was going to have the infamous crack develop and cause leaking soon and now you're ahead of that, but with the information you provided this seems like a very strange and unnecessary solution. Also, those loops will be in the same place with new back glass so what is this accomplishing? They should try to reroute the wire that got caught (or the loops) so that it doesn't pop off again while they are at it so hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Geddyflea

Reaction score
Why would they replace the back window due to something popping off from a loop on the back seat? I wouldn't want them tearing apart my truck unless in was necessary.

If you search the forums you'll see you are far from the first person this has happened too, the solution has always been to put the box back on the window. Not replace the window for some reason? I guess glass half full, maybe your window was going to have the infamous crack develop and cause leaking soon and now you're ahead of that, but with the information you provided this seems like a very strange and unnecessary solution. Also, those loops will be in the same place with new back glass so what is this accomplishing? They should try to reroute the wire that got caught (or the loops) so that it doesn't pop off again while they are at it so hopefully it doesn't happen again.
The only reason for them replacing everything, that I can see, is because one of the electrical studs that the box attaches to has sheared off. If the loops have caused this on other trucks it would appear there is a design error. I'm not sure what the purpose of the loops are. Do you know why they are there?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Seems to me like the dealer is grasping at straws. I don't see this being caused by one of those loops. I tried to see if I could hook the loop around that piece with the window open, and it didn't reach high enough to do that. I don't see how it could catch on any moving parts of the sliding window. And the wire is covered by the rear panel. Maybe your loops are longer than mine?

Geddyflea

Reaction score
Seems to me like the dealer is grasping at straws. I don't see this being caused by one of those loops. I tried to see if I could hook the loop around that piece with the window open, and it didn't reach high enough to do that. I don't see how it could catch on any moving parts of the sliding window. And the wire is covered by the rear panel. Maybe your loops are longer than mine?
The loops in my truck are about 3 1/2" above the bottom of the rear glass. It does seem unlikely the loop could open enough to wrap around the box. Especially since the box has radius edges and the perimeter is beveled. Something definitely tore it off the window with enough strength to shear one of the electrical connection studs. The headrest clear the window components and nothing else is near the window. My only other thought is the wire running to the box came out of the bottom window channel and was put in a bind or caught on something. But I'm not a rocket surgeon so I've really no idea 😁

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I believe there are tethers sticking up behind the seat for (possibly?) something to do with child seats, is this what yours got caught on?

Geddyflea

Reaction score
I believe there are tethers sticking up behind the seat for (possibly?) something to do with child seats, is this what yours got caught on?
Good call, that's them exactly! My truck doesn't have reclining rear seats so the seat backs are fixed in place. So you are right, they have to be some kind of child seat anchor.

VandeWS

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem! Happy to hear that it's covered under warranty. Did they fix it?

U

User_3336

Mine was off when I got home from buying the truck. Can't check everything in a walkaround.

Last as I recall, its just 2 rivets and it snapped back in. My rear window defroster works and my window still slides.

Not something I wanted a rear window torn out for.

VandeWS

Reaction score
Mine was off when I got home from buying the truck. Can't check everything in a walkaround.

Last as I recall, its just 2 rivets and it snapped back in. My rear window defroster works and my window still slides.

Not something I wanted a rear window torn out for.
In my case the rivets broke off, so that's not gonna work. Wouldn't mind a new back window, it has some damage in the surrounding plastic.

Could I use some kind of cold weld or something?

Geddyflea

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem! Happy to hear that it's covered under warranty. Did they fix it?
They replaced the entire rear window. I've had it back for about about 2 months now and it's good as new!

VandeWS

Reaction score
They replaced the entire rear window. I've had it back for about about 2 months now and it's good as new!
Glad to hear that it is fixed! I have an appointment at the Dealer tomorrow, I hope they will fix it under warranty.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad it's fixed, but yeah those loops are definitely for child seats. All vehicles need to have anchors for car seats in addition to the seat belt. You'll see in a lot of SUV's that they have a little indention and bar in the back of the seat. For those of us that don't have fold down seats we have the loops. I think the ones that have fold down seats have anchors on the back wall of the cab.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Glad it's fixed, but yeah those loops are definitely for child seats. All vehicles need to have anchors for car seats in addition to the seat belt. You'll see in a lot of SUV's that they have a little indention and bar in the back of the seat. For those of us that don't have fold down seats we have the loops. I think the ones that have fold down seats have anchors on the back wall of the cab.
I have the fold down seats and loops. After I saw this thread I immediately went out and folded the seats down, and then tucked the loops between the trim panel and back of the cab. Not taking any chances now that I have seen what can happen.

Users who are viewing this thread