5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What aftermarket parts to help fuel economy.

MikeMatty

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Looking into getting really good MPG on my 21 Ram 1500 Built to serve 5.7L Hemi. Can you guys recommend certain products that can help me with this. I'm thinking of getting a pulsar, but I have yet to see anyone really talk about it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nothing you buy is going to significantly get your money back in terms of MPG gain. If you're after MPG's then sell your truck and get a car.

For example, you listed the Pulsar. Prices I see are anywhere between $475 and $525. Let's just go with $500 to make the numbers easy. Let's make some assumptions on numbers to make the math easier: You get 16 MPG average (don't know what truck you have, but that's about what I average), the Pulsar gets you a 10% increase, and you pay $2/gallon of gas, and you fill up 25 gallons exactly every time.

1 tank of gas before Pulsar: $50 for 400 miles. (16 mpg)
1 tank of gas after Pulsar: $50 for 440 miles. (17.6 mpg, 10% increase)
40 miles / 16 mpg = 2.5 gallons of gas or $5 saved.

You'd have to go 100 fill-ups, or 44,000 miles, to get your money back. Average of 12k miles per year, and you're looking at almost 4 years to recoup $500 spent. That's if you even see an increase.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Looking into getting really good MPG on my 21 Ram 1500 Built to serve 5.7L Hemi. Can you guys recommend certain products that can help me with this. I'm thinking of getting a pulsar, but I have yet to see anyone really talk about it.

Actually, manufacturers have pretty much designed vehicles to optimize fuel consumption based on the target performance level.

Without wanting to come off as trite, you'd be better off with a lighter pair of shoes.;)

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044780 miles.

sppb32

Reaction score
Get a throttle controller like the Hikeit, put it in economy mode, you ain't gonna like it though...lol.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score

No such thing!

soSincerious

Reaction score
I second the lighter tires ... maybe when it comes times to replace them ...

cut your springs to lower it a few inches ... that's just worth your time and labor, and borrowing your buddies cut-off wheel if you don't have one ... maybe the cost to rent a spring compressor ... (this isn't the most serious of suggestions)

modify your right foot modulation ... try and keep out of the gas as much as you can stand. don't let RPMs go above 2k when accelerating ... everyone behind you will hate you though :LOL:

but seriously your driving habits will have the greatest effect. be easy on both the gas and brake pedals.

Users who are viewing this thread