5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wet carpet and heavy condensation on inside of windshield

MackRam

Reaction score
I have been reading some of the posts concerning wet carpet. I recently had a windshield changed and I had not previously known of any wet carpet issues. I brought it back after the first windshield was installed because I was getting heavy condensation on the inside the windshield. They removed the windshield and said it wasn’t fully sealed and installed another windshield

A week later all the condensation was back. I took it back again and they said to remove the floor mats and let everything dry out that it was probably residual moisture in the carpet. I took the floor mats out and left the windows cracked open and let it air out for about three weeks. I thought after that that everything was good but low and behold after a heavy rain storm I went back out in the inside of the windshield was all condensated again.

I am bringing it back again Monday, and they are supposed to do an entire days investigation on it but I just recently learned today when I googled fifth GEN ram wet carpet that this may be an inherent problem from another source.

My question is for all of you that have had wet carpet, did you get heavy condensation on the inside of the windshield?

I used an infrared camera and everything is on my drivers floorboard. 24% moisture

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have been reading some of the posts concerning wet carpet. I recently had a windshield changed and I had not previously known of any issues. I brought it back after the first windshield was installed because I had heavy condensation on the inside the windshield. They removed the windshield and said it wasn’t fully sealed.

The week later all the condensation was back. I took it back again and they said to remove the floor mats and let everything dry out that it was probably residual moisture in the carpet. I took the floor mats out and left the windows cracked open and let it air out for about three weeks. I thought after that that everything was good but low and behold after a heavy rain storm I went back out in the underside of the windshield was all condensated again.

I am bringing it back again Monday, and they are supposed to do an entire days investigation on it but I just recently learned today when I googled fifth GEN ram wet carpet that this may be an inherent problem from another source.

My question is for all of you that have had wet carpet, did you get heavy condensation on the inside of the windshield?

I used an infrared camera anymore oyster Poboy and everything is on my drivers floorboard. 24% moisture
Sounds like the company that replaced your windshield is having morons do the work.
Did you pay or was it an insurance claim?

Get your money back and go elsewhere.
I have had good luck with Safelite, I have them come out to my home to do the replacement and chat the person up and basically let them know i'm a pain in the *** and to make sure it's perfect and stay outside while they do it. I don't stare at them but i'm nearby so it's very clear of the "don't screw it up".
I forget the exact name of the seal they use (I think it's called urethane), but it's black and it's considered the "drive away" and "quick setting sealer" it's more expensive then the regular stuff but windshield coverage with $0 deductible and points is a state law where I live so I never pay a penny so I make sure they use the best when I get cracks in my windshield from rocks from trucks on almost every vehicle I have ever owned.

I have around 10 windshields replaced on various vehicles and not once have I had a leak.
One time they cut paint on the driver side of the windshield on my wife's sedan (I wasn't there) and one time I had them replace the expensive windshield on my Camaro a second time as I wasn't happy with the placement on it (was a bit too far on 1 side) and there was no problem with it.

MackRam

Reaction score
Sounds like the company that replaced your windshield is having morons do the work.
Did you pay or was it an insurance claim?

Get your money back and go elsewhere.
I have had good luck with Safelite, I have them come out to my home to do the replacement and chat the person up and basically let them know i'm a pain in the *** and to make sure it's perfect and stay outside while they do it. I don't stare at them but i'm nearby so it's very clear of the "don't screw it up".
I forget the exact name of the seal they use (I think it's called urethane), but it's black and it's considered the "drive away" and "quick setting sealer" it's more expensive then the regular stuff but windshield coverage with $0 deductible and points is a state law where I live so I never pay a penny so I make sure they use the best when I get cracks in my windshield from rocks from trucks on almost every vehicle I have ever owned.

I have around 10 windshields replaced on various vehicles and not once have I had a leak.
One time they cut paint on the driver side of the windshield on my wife's sedan (I wasn't there) and one time I had them replace the expensive windshield on my Camaro a second time as I wasn't happy with the placement on it (was a bit too far on 1 side) and there was no problem with it.
Mine was insurance claim and Safelite is the company.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have read where some have had a leak at the driver's side firewall. I believe the fix is to have the dealer spray some foam in that area to seal it up. You might ask your dealer to inspect there, and to search for an applicable TSB

Scram1500

Reaction score
I have been reading some of the posts concerning wet carpet. I recently had a windshield changed and I had not previously known of any wet carpet issues. I brought it back after the first windshield was installed because I was getting heavy condensation on the inside the windshield. They removed the windshield and said it wasn’t fully sealed and installed another windshield

A week later all the condensation was back. I took it back again and they said to remove the floor mats and let everything dry out that it was probably residual moisture in the carpet. I took the floor mats out and left the windows cracked open and let it air out for about three weeks. I thought after that that everything was good but low and behold after a heavy rain storm I went back out in the inside of the windshield was all condensated again.

I used an infrared camera and everything is on my drivers floorboard. 24% moisture
It could also be a coincidence. There are three problem areas in the back (brake light, rear window frame, shark fin) that should be looked at as a possibility. Depending on the angle you park the water could pool anywhere

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It would be useful for us if you could post your truck details when you make a thread asking for help. Or, even better, include that information in your signature.

There have been issues with a seam seal behind the driver side fender, which allowed water to come in through the bottom of the a-pillar. Remove your driver side kick panel the next time it's raining and see if you can see water coming in through the metal seam. I remember reading more than one thread about this leak. It seemed to affect mostly 2019 QC models IIRC, although this type of thing could rear its ugly head at any time. Maybe try searching through threads in the Interior forum from 2019 and 2020.

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
It could also be a coincidence. There are three problem areas in the back (brake light, rear window frame, shark fin) that should be looked at as a possibility. Depending on the angle you park the water could pool anywhere
There are actually 4 areas in the rear as you stated plus the cab vents, I just replaced the cab vents on my sons 2018, he was getting condensation on his windshield also. After replacing the seal on the brake light it was still leaking. We removed the seats and the carpet on the rear cab wall ran a water hose all over and saw the water coming in below the vents. I think the 2 vents cost around 12 bucks and where easy to replace with the seats already removed. The 5th gens have the same vents as the 4th gens.

Scram1500

Reaction score
There are actually 4 areas in the rear as you stated plus the cab vents, I just replaced the cab vents on my sons 2018, he was getting condensation on his windshield also. After replacing the seal on the brake light it was still leaking. We removed the seats and the carpet on the rear cab wall ran a water hose all over and saw the water coming in below the vents. I think the 2 vents cost around 12 bucks and where easy to replace with the seats already removed. The 5th gens have the same vents as the 4th gens.
Good call, there was another member here with a leaky vent.

Last edited:

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good call, there was another member here with a leaky vent.
Pretty sure I have a leaky vent. No sign of window leak, but my carpet under the rear seat is soaked after heavy rain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/