5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wet Cabin Air Filter. Poor HVAC Performance.

RSZ

Reaction score
I've been having this issue intermittently where the air flow coming out of any vent is severely restricted. I've had the truck at the dealer a couple months ago and of course they couldn't reproduce it. This morning it happened again and in the middle of snow storm it's not much fun driving without much front defrost happening.

Drove straight to the dealer and they pulled the truck in right away. Only thing they could find was a soaking wet cabin air filter which seems to be blocking air flow when wet. The other times it has happened was after going through a car wash, later that day or the next day the air flow would be severely restricted. The dealers temporary solution was to remove the cabin air filter for the time being and see if the issue comes back.

It looks like the drain in the wiper cowl might be slow to drain and dumping water in through the fresh air intake. My front lawn has a tree with small leaves, and in the fall the truck gets covered in leaves. I think the leaves may be getting into the wiper cowl and blocking the drain, or slowing the draining of the water.

Has anyone experienced this issue? How difficult is it to take off the wiper cowling?

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
wiper cowling is easy. I would be concerned about water getting cabin filter wet though. In warmer weather could lead to mold, and you getting sick. Find a way to not let your truck get covered in leaves.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just use a toothpick on mine, hole either side on windshield then use the hose to see if it draining properly. Has worked every time on all my different vehicles.

deepc6

Reaction score
I've been having this issue intermittently where the air flow coming out of any vent is severely restricted. I've had the truck at the dealer a couple months ago and of course they couldn't reproduce it. This morning it happened again and in the middle of snow storm it's not much fun driving without much front defrost happening.

Drove straight to the dealer and they pulled the truck in right away. Only thing they could find was a soaking wet cabin air filter which seems to be blocking air flow when wet. The other times it has happened was after going through a car wash, later that day or the next day the air flow would be severely restricted. The dealers temporary solution was to remove the cabin air filter for the time being and see if the issue comes back.

It looks like the drain in the wiper cowl might be slow to drain and dumping water in through the fresh air intake. My front lawn has a tree with small leaves, and in the fall the truck gets covered in leaves. I think the leaves may be getting into the wiper cowl and blocking the drain, or slowing the draining of the water.

Has anyone experienced this issue? How difficult is it to take off the wiper cowling?

Look at this thread, it might help you out.

Soaking wet cabin filter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread