5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well, that's a really odd thing to happen

Psyonic64

Reaction score
I'm on my way home yesterday afternoon and I hear a loud "Cluck" from the back. Wondered what it was, but didn't think about it after I got to the house. This afternoon when I went outside to look, I saw this:

Pic 1.jpg

A 4in bolt magically worked its self out.
Looking at the other side, this is what it's supposed to look like.

Pic2.jpg

I'd walk through fire to not have to suffer through another experience at the dealership.
As mechanically useless as I am, I feel like I could probably install a replacement bolt for this. Would I have to get it from the service department or is this something I could get at an auto parts store?

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You could take the bolt from the other side off and go to Lowes and find a bolt. You could also go to bolt store around your area and have them find you one.

On your sig, it says you have a 3.5 loft installed. Assuming you got that installed somewhere? How long ago? They might have removed the bolts to ease the rear install and didn't properly tighten the bolt.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would have it towed to dealer and let them fix it and document it. I'd also probably insist they check and retorque everything down there too. god knows what else got missed on a friday truck

Psyonic64

Reaction score
You could take the bolt from the other side off and go to Lowes and find a bolt. You could also go to bolt store around your area and have them find you one.

On your sig, it says you have a 3.5 loft installed. Assuming you got that installed somewhere? How long ago? They might have removed the bolts to ease the rear install and didn't properly tighten the bolt.

The lift was dealer installed. (not at my request) I bought it new off the lot. 10/2019.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would have it towed to dealer and let them fix it and document it. I'd also probably insist they check and retorque everything down there too. god knows what else got missed on a friday truck

Its just an end-link, so I don't think towing would be necessary. Worst he'll have to deal with is increased roll in corners (at speed), and maybe no towing recommended until its fixed.

Grade 8 bolts are what I'd do, as others suggested, avoiding the dealership for something this simple.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Its just an end-link, so I don't think towing would be necessary. Worst he'll have to deal with is increased roll in corners (at speed), and maybe no towing recommended until its fixed.

Grade 8 bolts are what I'd do, as others suggested, avoiding the dealership for something this simple.
Agree.

Kevlars

Reaction score
Ya not a real safety concern but I would have the dealer re torque everything.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Rear sway bar end link. Dealer should be able to get one. I doubt it's stock if it has a dealer installed lift. Either way I'd try to get them to replace it for you.

GraniteRam

Reaction score
Metric 10.9 is equivalent to grade 8, it's a metric bolt that is missing if you decide to try and get one at hardware store, good luck. I would just have your parts department order you one.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I would take it to the dealer so it is documented as it was a dealer install so it is under warranty.

i totally agree with you as I hate to go to the dealer. I have 3 in the area and all three aren’t worth it, but as long as it is under warranty that is a penance I am willing to pay. Makes one wonder if they are hiring ASE mechanics or not.

why is it so hard for US car dealers to have a good service department? Not like they don’t charge and arm and a leg to fix something out of warranty. When I turn my wife’s Mercedes in it is done right and returned clean. I have a oil change and I find smudges in the engine bay and on the door. Had A service performed on a Jeep Grand Cherokee and when I got home I saw the oil was low, and so was the power steering fluid. On my last oil change on the truck the oil was over filled. Good thing I have a catch can.

if nothing else put a quick tie to hold it up and drive it in.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would take it to the dealer so it is documented as it was a dealer install so it is under warranty.

i totally agree with you as I hate to go to the dealer. I have 3 in the area and all three aren’t worth it, but as long as it is under warranty that is a penance I am willing to pay. Makes one wonder if they are hiring ASE mechanics or not.

why is it so hard for US car dealers to have a good service department? Not like they don’t charge and arm and a leg to fix something out of warranty. When I turn my wife’s Mercedes in it is done right and returned clean. I have a oil change and I find smudges in the engine bay and on the door. Had A service performed on a Jeep Grand Cherokee and when I got home I saw the oil was low, and so was the power steering fluid. On my last oil change on the truck the oil was over filled. Good thing I have a catch can.

Some thoughts on why service is lacking:
Today I would say you don't see, hear or talk to the mechanic. From my experience there is the "middle man" at the service desk (not sure of what he should be called, not sure what his back ground or training involves). He talks to you, writes up a ticket, sets an appointment and the mechanic gets a ticket.

To the mechanic you are a work ticket. The mechanic's pay is based on work produced and the faster he can finish a job and get to the next one the higher his salary. No face or individual connection - impersonal, and he has the blocker at the counter for unsatisfactory service.

Service departments have more work than they can handle. How many owners can get an appointment the next day or for that matter the next week? They do not need the work! I was quoted $545.60 for an engine block heater (parts are less than $100 via internet, $95 if installed at time of build) to me it was throw it out there and see if he "bites". But I'm sure FCA will put pressure on poor performance. But how much poor performance and how bad?

Generally today the "key board" and "screen" dictate what can be done, easy to hide behind an email, text or phone call - again impersonal. I bought my 2001 Dodge 1500 from a small family owned dealership. The owner's office was right up front and employees were long term. It was closed when Chrysler consolidated dealerships.

Vehicles are complicated today and "baffle with BuI$it" is easy. Not being educated and informed leaves you at a big disadvantage.

Quality of service may be related to hourly rate. I do not have personal experience in this category. What is the price for each dealership (Mercedes, BMW vs FCA) for a 5 quart oil and filter change?

And my final thought is work ethics. It seems today people look forward to retirement. Some people have careers and some have jobs.

Long time ago my Uncle Ken told me "there are only two things you need to do in life, find a woman you love and a job you love, the rest will come easy". My only problem is I can't get the two together on the same day.

Scram1500

Reaction score
You need to replace your ends links with longer ones to accommodate the 3.5" lift, that top bolt sheared off. The sway bar should be parallel to the ground, that way it can have a full range of motion up and down. Your bar is pointing up already at the limit of travel placing strain on the links

Spaz86

Reaction score
as much as it pains me to say it if the truck is new you should probably bring it back to the dealer because if anything else goes wrong they're going to blame it on the fact that you fixed it yourself and void your warranty

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

GraniteRam

Reaction score
You need to replace your ends links with longer ones to accommodate the 3.5" lift, that top bolt sheared off. The sway bar should be parallel to the ground, that way it can have a full range of motion up and down. Your bar is pointing up already at the limit of travel placing strain on the links
Good eye, this is what needs to be done.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"Long time ago my Uncle Ken told me "there are only two things you need to do in life, find a woman you love and a job you love, the rest will come easy". My only problem is I can't get the two together on the same day."
Great statement! At least you still have a great sense of humor.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044177 miles.

Bigtone

Reaction score
I posted about 10 months ago a similar problem with my 2019 Laramie. Clunking underneath from the control arm bolts being loose. Dealer had to replace the arms due to the holes ovaled from drivng around with them loose probably since it was new. Unacceptable in my book.

Psyonic64

Reaction score

My driveway is inclined so I don't think the angle is as sharp as it looks, but what you're suggesting makes sense. I'm concerned about this now. Thanks for pointing it out.

Scram1500

Reaction score
My driveway is inclined so I don't think the angle is as sharp as it looks, but what you're suggesting makes sense. I'm concerned about this now. Thanks for pointing it out.
No problem, Core 4 x 4 sells rear end links in various lengths to match your ride height, much stronger than stock and really well made. They will require slight modification where the link mounts to the frame as the upper bolt for the core links is larger than stock. The pain there is the OEM bolt threads into a nut that is welded to the frame. I simply drilled both of them out

image000001.jpg

If you want to kill two birds and wake up the handling, get the Hellwig sway bar kit that comes with adjustable links.

Psyonic64

Reaction score

It absolutely comes down to training and setting a high bar for your service people. I've taken my truck to the RAM dealership twice (with an appointment) - each time they had it for 3 weeks. They can't fix the squealing brakes. I just gave up on it. When I do go in, I have to stand in the lobby and wave my arms until someone dains to look up from their desk. The impression I get is that warranty work is low priority. By contrast - I own 2 Kia's. When I drive up for service, I am met at my car before I can even open the door. The service advisors are engaged, efficient and professional. In 7 years, I've never had to leave a vehicle there longer than 24 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread