5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well, my 2021 Honeymoon lasted about week...

TaterRam

Reaction score
Picked up my 2021 Big Horn last week. Went to move it out of the garage yesterday morning and noticed the back up camera was not working. Figured maybe it just needed some time to think. Went out to run an errand that afternoon and discovered a litany of issues:

BU camera blue screen
586D8EC2-264D-4B34-B429-7FD79C8111E7.jpeg

Rear park sense unavailable
78258DC7-D258-4BF3-B775-B2FBA1E7B27C.jpeg

Remote start not working
2CFA1DDC-8C66-40CD-943E-A773E2867843.jpeg

And the most exciting one, service electronic throttle
59BDD250-FAD4-4DDF-938B-F9697707EA30.jpeg

Oh, and any kind of music/audio (Sirius, FM radio, Bluetoothplays for 2 seconds, cuts out for 2 seconds, plays for 2 seconds, cuts out for 2 seconds. Rinse and repeat.

Seems some kind of electrical gremlin tagged along this truck. I searched the forums and found instances of each issue separate but not really any combined. And some seemed related to adding LEDs, Bedliner (tailgate/camera plug gets disconnected) but my truck is bone stock.

Called the dealer yesterday, best they can do is this Thursday morning to take a look. Service rep I spoke to said they haven’t seen this on any of the newer ones. It appears to be driving okay, might be my mind but seems to hesitate more shifting gears. Doesn’t seem like it’s in limp mode.

I’m not gonna start disconnecting battery cables, plugs, harnesses etc. I didn’t pay the money I did for a 2021 to dink with it.

I traded in my 2015 ecodiesel (numerous recalls, was waiting for a 2nd EGR cooler to be replaced, phantom CELs). Full disclosure 2 days before I bought/traded my ED threw a CEL. So maybe this is reaping what I sow

It’s a nice rig for sure, and I thought it’d be better buying 3 years into the new model but here I am.

End rant.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Sorry to hear.
They should be able to sort it out. Pls post with an update once you get it back.

Brisoup1

Reaction score
Sounds like your ECU/Radio-Nav screen needs a re-flash. Shouldn't be a big deal. Still, it's a little disconcerting when you just purchased a brand new truck.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had that happen to me but before I could make an appointment with the dealer everything went back to normal , that was 8 months ago and it’s been flawless ever since .

jth877

Reaction score
You might want them do to some in depth testing on the battery. Many of those issues come up with a bad battery.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had that happen to me but before I could make an appointment with the dealer everything went back to normal , that was 8 months ago and it’s been flawless ever since .
We had the same issue in our 2019 Lone Star...gave it 24 hours and all went to normal without any further issues.

TaterRam

Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in everyone. Unfortunately the issue did not self resolve so kept my appointment and dropped it off yesterday. She plugged into it when I first got there and said it was "showing a bunch of communication errors." Called late yesterday as I was wrapping up my work day and needing some wheels, she said they needed to keep it for more testing...
So in a loaner for now. Get's me from A to B, can't complain.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Picked up my 2021 Big Horn last week. Went to move it out of the garage yesterday morning and noticed the back up camera was not working. Figured maybe it just needed some time to think. Went out to run an errand that afternoon and discovered a litany of issues:

BU camera blue screen
View attachment 75939

Rear park sense unavailable
View attachment 75940

Remote start not working
View attachment 75941

And the most exciting one, service electronic throttle
View attachment 75943

Oh, and any kind of music/audio (Sirius, FM radio, Bluetoothplays for 2 seconds, cuts out for 2 seconds, plays for 2 seconds, cuts out for 2 seconds. Rinse and repeat.

Seems some kind of electrical gremlin tagged along this truck. I searched the forums and found instances of each issue separate but not really any combined. And some seemed related to adding LEDs, Bedliner (tailgate/camera plug gets disconnected) but my truck is bone stock.

Called the dealer yesterday, best they can do is this Thursday morning to take a look. Service rep I spoke to said they haven’t seen this on any of the newer ones. It appears to be driving okay, might be my mind but seems to hesitate more shifting gears. Doesn’t seem like it’s in limp mode.

I’m not gonna start disconnecting battery cables, plugs, harnesses etc. I didn’t pay the money I did for a 2021 to dink with it.

I traded in my 2015 ecodiesel (numerous recalls, was waiting for a 2nd EGR cooler to be replaced, phantom CELs). Full disclosure 2 days before I bought/traded my ED threw a CEL. So maybe this is reaping what I sow

It’s a nice rig for sure, and I thought it’d be better buying 3 years into the new model but here I am.

End rant.
I don't know about the blue screen, but I'm suspicious that the Service Electronic Throttle fault is driving the other messages. Are you also seeing the Throttle fault indicator illuminated in the cluster?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044177 miles.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pop the hood and check the box by the battery. Push all the loose relays down firmly.

njt07

Reaction score
Pop the hood and check the box by the battery. Push all the loose relays down firmly.
I did this when I picked up my truck last Saturday. About half the fuses weren't seated well at all... the sales guy was shocked and said he had never seen that

TaterRam

Reaction score
I don't know about the blue screen, but I'm suspicious that the Service Electronic Throttle fault is driving the other messages. Are you also seeing the Throttle fault indicator illuminated in the cluster?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044177 miles.

If you mean the little red lightning bolt in the upper right of the cluster, then yes.

Bigtone

Reaction score
Last week my 2019 Laramie did nearly the same. Blue screen for backup camera and music playing 2 or 3 seconds, then off for 2 or 3 seconds continuously. After about 15 minutes of that I parked the truck for 10 minutes, and after restarting everything was fine. Must be some type of strange mode it is in until restarted/rebooted.

TaterRam

Reaction score
Weird. Ya figured it was a glitch but 5 days of running truck, letting it sit, etc with now change.
I did not check fuses to see if they were seated. Seems odd if it was that since it all happened at once and I’d imagine at least a few things I am having issues with are not on the same fuse or linked somehow. But alas there is a lot of electronics in it.

TaterRam

Reaction score
Back in action tonight. Voicemail from the service advisor said it was a wiring harness issue. She wasn’t here when I picked up late tonight to get a little more context, the paperwork just says wiring issue.

Rupp

Reaction score
Man that stinks to get a new truck and have this issue but I must say your attitude toward this is envious. I only wish I was as laid back. Glad you've got it back and it's fixed.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Very patient fella’. How many posts have been on this forum from new to RAM owners who have about gone ballistic about quality issues... this guy deserves an award from us for not trashing the product and allowing the dealer to fix it. Hopefully the wiring harness issues will now go away and he can enjoy his truck.

This is not to say that people don’t have a right to be disappointed but it’s a mass produced item and every maker has issues. (Enter the “my Tundra with the 1990 interior and tech never had any issues” comments...)

Having had just 1 trans downshift “bump” in 18 months of RAM ownership, luck of the draw maybe, I respect the OP’s patient and reasonable attitude.

BowDown

Reaction score
Man that stinks to get a new truck and have this issue but I must say your attitude toward this is envious. I only wish I was as laid back. Glad you've got it back and it's fixed.

You have to be that way with these things, going to a shop and throwing a tantrum isn't going to get you anywhere, too many people don't understand that

BowDown

Reaction score
Back in action tonight. Voicemail from the service advisor said it was a wiring harness issue. She wasn’t here when I picked up late tonight to get a little more context, the paperwork just says wiring issue.

As disappointing as it is, this is one of the reasons I opted to buy a 2020 truck built prior to any covid supply issues. I was concerned about the quality of the "covid" trucks

Users who are viewing this thread