5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welding advice

CSPCRX

Reaction score
I started with a cheap HF mig welder. Changed wire to good wire and lots of YouTube videos later I could get metal to stick to metal without fear of it falling apart.

After a few years i decided to upgrade to a better machine. I got a Hobart MVP 120/240. Before I tried to make my first weld I spent probably the best money I spent on welding.

Local welding supply shop had welding classes that were one on one. You could even bring your welder in and learn on it. this helped me so much, learned how to set my machine up and adjust it.

after this I build a new steel work bench with 10‘ of steel, picture frames for my wife, and some other items.

Untitled by Victor M, on Flickr

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I started with a cheap HF mig welder. Changed wire to good wire and lots of YouTube videos later I could get metal to stick to metal without fear of it falling apart.

After a few years i decided to upgrade to a better machine. I got a Hobart MVP 120/240. Before I tried to make my first weld I spent probably the best money I spent on welding.

Local welding supply shop had welding classes that were one on one. You could even bring your welder in and learn on it. this helped me so much, learned how to set my machine up and adjust it.

after this I build a new steel work bench with 10‘ of steel, picture frames for my wife, and some other items.

Inspiring!!!

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was my brother’s welder’s helper as he took my grandmother’s 1955 four door Chevy Bel Air and turned it into a hot rod a mere fifty-five years ago.

When I went to high school five years later they decided that shop classes we’re toooooo dangerous…..so much for me learning how to weld.

Life got in the way and after we had kids I disappeared twice a week and went to our local community college and took a few basic welding course at night.

When I die on my bookshelf is one of the first things that goes in the trash is two chunks of 1/4” steel and each is bent into a 90 degree angle.

They were my “coupon“ test to pass MIG welding.

In welding class after I welded two pieces of steel together they were cut into two pieces and the instructor put them in a hydraulic press and bent them at the seam.

One side was bent one way with the other one bent the opposite direction.

Any cracking, void or flaw and it was back to the booth for another two nights until you got it right.

Page # 2 - Welding is a hands eye coordination thing.

The instructor said some of his better welders have been women.

They seem to be better at It with their needle work, quilting etc.

One last thing to remeber, friends don’t weld friends trailer hitches.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have this welder. Have I ly used it once to fix my mower deck. Still need to play with it more to figure out the adjustments. The wire speed is way too high. It has good reviews, and was cheap enough to play with. The plan is to get good enough to weld in new body panels for rust repair on my 66 D100 and stepsons 98 Chevy C1500

Edit, forgot to add link.

YESWELDER Gas Gasless 160A... Amazon.com

Last edited:

CSPCRX

Reaction score
what is the easiest to learn on mig, tig or flux core?
To me.
stick welding is probably the easiest then mig. Mig gas or flux core really are not that different. You pretty much turn the gas on and that’s it. Really only have to play with gas flow rate if your in drafty or windy areas. Flux core just eliminates that part and requires a little more cleanup afterwards.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Oxy/acetylene. The regular old electric arc. Then the newer wire feeds.
All depends. You probably learned oxy/acetylene and stick welding first. Now days, they teach mig first as it's easier for people to pick up, and more forgiving. A lot of mig welders are "smart" and adjust amperage automatically to varying degrees. Getting the wire feed rate is hardest setting.

Arc/stick welding takes skill and knowledge of proper amp settings for the metal and rod being used as well as technique to get arc started and not get air pockets. Especially when stacking welds.

Oxy/acetylene is similar with knowing temp by color and using the right rod to get a good weld.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I also have this helmet. The shell is kind of thin and cheap feeling, but the auto darkening lens works good

YESWELDER Large Viewing Screen... Amazon.com

CSPCRX

Reaction score
Agree the MIGs today take so much of the hard work out of it, especially if your willing to spend a few extra bucks.

as a kid I learned oxy and stick because that’s what was most commonly used on AG heavy equipment in the field.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you all for the info and insight I should be starting a class at a local trade school for “hobbyists” so I’m looking forward to that

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
what is the easiest to learn on mig, tig or flux core?

Got certified for pipe welding back in the day. Stick and tig. I thought tig was much easier. Took more coordination, but was cleaner and pretty beads laid down so much easier.

Users who are viewing this thread