5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welding advice

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Soooo I’m wanting to get into welding (hobby not a new career path)

Just picked up a HF titanium welder 120/240

TITANIUM MIG 170 Professional Welder with 120/240V Input - Item 57864

Really just looking to learn how to weld mufflers and down pipes etc nothing to crazy. Also wanting to build a rocket stove and modify an offset smoker I have.

Any 1st timer advice or suggestions would be great. What’s a good welding helmet? Gloves? What flux core or welding wire are you using with good results? What size metal can I weld together on 120 vs 240 . What settings do what…

Anything helps!

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Jumping on this for the same reasons. Going to HF and getting a welder (along with a few other things) is on my weekend to-do list. Recently upgraded trailers, and I want to put expanded metal on the sides.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just got one too, but haven't started yet. Maybe I'll jump on it at the end of this month.

Rock Crawler

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Hobart Handler 140 MIG and tinker a little, but need to take a class. There is a guy that is fairly local that teaches at his shop. I need to seriously look into that. I used the flux wire for a while and then recently converted to argon/co2. I have the Arcsafe auto dimming helmet from Harbor Freight. It has a lot of really good reviews. It works well.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Hobart Handler 140 MIG and tinker a little, but need to take a class. There is a guy that is fairly local that teaches at his shop. I need to seriously look into that. I used the flux wire for a while and then recently converted to argon/co2. I have the Arcsafe auto dimming helmet from Harbor Freight. It has a lot of really good reviews. It works well.

I DONT THINK MY WELDER IS CAPABLE OF USING ARGON/CO2 AND THAT SOUNDS WAAAAY TO COMPLICATED FOR ME LOL. IM GREAT AT SOLDERING THINGS THATS WHAT LEAD ME TO WELDING HOPING IT WAS SIMILAR IN A WAY

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I DONT THINK MY WELDER IS CAPABLE OF USING ARGON/CO2 AND THAT SOUNDS WAAAAY TO COMPLICATED FOR ME LOL. IM GREAT AT SOLDERING THINGS THATS WHAT LEAD ME TO WELDING HOPING IT WAS SIMILAR IN A WAY
Why you screaming at us? Use flux core and you should be fine. There is a lot of splatter, but you can upgrade to gas when you get better or need it. There's just more cleanup with flux core.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why you screaming at us? Use flux core and you should be fine. There is a lot of splatter, but you can upgrade to gas when you get better or need it. There's just more cleanup with flux core.
my bad writing from my work comp. what the best way to clean up the welds after the fact ? just grinding it down smooth with a angle grinder?

Rock Crawler

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

That is the reason I bought the Hobart Handler 140. It‘s more versatile. If I need to throw it in the truck and go weld something, I don’t have to bring the cart, gas cylinder, etc. It just requires repositioning a couple of wires, swap wire and tip. Gas just makes a cleaner weld with much less spatter. Gas is not complicated at all. Just one more minor adjustment.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is the reason I bought the Hobart Handler 140. It‘s more versatile. If I need to throw it in the truck and go weld something, I don’t have to bring the cart, gas cylinder, etc. It just requires repositioning a couple of wires, swap wire and tip. Gas just makes a cleaner weld with much less spatter. Gas is not complicated at all. Just one more minor adjustment.
ahh i see. well if i get good at it one day and can justify spending more on a "hpbby" ill have to upgrade to argon/co2

Rock Crawler

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welding seems very basic, but it’s actually very technical. A lot of things go into a good, safe weld. Proper metal prep, proper saturation without blow through, etc. You have to make adjustments to temp, wire speed, hand placement/movement, etc. All reasons I feel I need to go spend some time with someone who knows what they are doing.

Users who are viewing this thread