5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to 2019 F150

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

2024 Ford F-150 Pro Access Tailgate: Super Dumb or Super Clever?​

6501f9bb1afe8f0019e9c26c

The refreshed F-150's door-within-a-door seems odd, but it solves an old problem in an interesting way.​

Frank MarkusWriterManufacturerWriter
Sep 13, 2023
Ford strives to hold the trailer-towing high ground, with big capacity numbers (13,500 pounds) and features like Pro Trailer Hitch Assist, Pro Trailer Backup Assist, and Onboard Scales with Smart Hitch. But up until now it's been impossible to open an F-150's tailgate while a trailer with a fixed-tongue jack is attached. Think this is too specific a reason for developing an all-new tailgate? Well, also consider that many of the F-150's competitors have introduced novel multi-way tailgates in recent years. The Ram 1500 solved this problem back in 2019 with its Multifunction Tailgate. Ford studied that, found room for improvement (and/or ways around patent protection), and is now rolling out its Pro Access Tailgate on the 2024 Ford F-150 update.
6501fb9e1afe8f0019e9c3d2

Pro Access Swings Into Play​

Instead of Ram's 60/40-split dual opening "barn doors," Ford fits a single 37-inch-wide door in the center of the gate and gives it check stops at 37, 70, and 100 degrees. The first one should stop the door just shy of any trailer jack, while affording ample room to reach in or step up into the bed, via a widened license-plate/step area—yes, that mini-door might look small, but remember, this is only in relation to the broader tailgate, which, like on every other full-size truck today, is huge.
6501fc2c992da60019ebacc2

There's an optional under-bumper kick step to lessen the climb up to the bumper step, and the trailer power socket is now located to the right of the license plate, nearer the door's hinge and out of the way. The releases for the Pro Access tailgate are electronic so as to prevent any chance of someone muscling the tailgate-down latch open while the swing gate is down—meaning the smaller, inner door might come crashing, paint-side-down, into the hitch and bumper.
Advantages relative to the Ram design include easier access from the driver side—with no need to walk between the open door and the trailer—and a lighter, simpler overall design with half the hinges and their attachment-point reinforcements. Any bed-riding dog will make good use of it, too. We hesitate to consider the load-bearing implications with the tailgate open in a traditional manner, but Ford is confident in its new system.

How Much, And How Much Does It Weigh?​

The system adds about 55 pounds (plus 7 for its standard power open/close function), whereas Chevy/GMC's MultiPro/Multi-Flex gate adds 51 pounds, and Ram's design adds 75 pounds to its base single-piece gate (and doesn't offer power closing). Pro Access will be optional on Lariat and Tremor, standard on King Ranch and Platinum, and the pull-out step option on the one-piece tailgate continues with power release or power open/close features. Pricing has yet to be released.

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
While I can appreciate its more symmetrical than Ram’s MFT, I like the Ram one better now that I have it and have used it. Honestly, it was a feature I wasn’t after but it came with the truck I bought. The very first time I used it with my trailer hooked up and was able to get into the bed without hitting the trailer jack, I was sold. Having a shorter door made it possible, where as with that setup on Ford it wouldn’t provide a benefit, to me at least.

My first thought when they revealed it last week was “oh, Ford is finally catching up to the fancy tailgate club.”

6of36

Reaction score
The reason for the Ram offset seam, is to open with a trailer attached. Try that with the Ford. (Notice they even have a detached trailer in their picture).:ROFLMAO:

Burns1200

Reaction score
The reason for the Ram offset seam, is to open with a trailer attached. Try that with the Ford. (Notice they even have a detached trailer in their picture).:ROFLMAO:
The ad for this talked about having detents in the mechanism just like a regular door so it doesn't hit the trailer, and probably doesn't open far enough to get inside of it

BowDown

Reaction score
While I can appreciate its more symmetrical than Ram’s MFT, I like the Ram one better now that I have it and have used it. Honestly, it was a feature I wasn’t after but it came with the truck I bought. The very first time I used it with my trailer hooked up and was able to get into the bed without hitting the trailer jack, I was sold. Having a shorter door made it possible, where as with that setup on Ford it wouldn’t provide a benefit, to me at least.

My first thought when they revealed it last week was “oh, Ford is finally catching up to the fancy tailgate club.”

I like the Ram version better and the offset seam has never bothered me. I wish it was on the truck I bought but it was hard finding my combo

BowDown

Reaction score
As for MFTs' --- I think GM owns the best. Not that I'd ever need one.

I think the GM version is the most useless of the all.
I know a few guys that have it on their AT4 and AT4X.
Only usefulness is the kicker speaker for both

6of36

Reaction score
The ad for this talked about having detents in the mechanism just like a regular door so it doesn't hit the trailer, and probably doesn't open far enough to get inside of it
It's not about hitting the trailer. With ram, you can get into the truck, with the trailer attached. The opening is next to the tongue. The Ford, has the tongue right in the middle of the door. You can't use it.

Users who are viewing this thread