5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weirdest things to ruin a tire?

Klute

Reaction score
OK, what items have you had ruin a tire for you?

I had the strangest one I have ever seen happen this past Sunday.

Driving about 1/2 from home hit a pothole and heard a pop. TMPS instantly showed it was losing pressure. Thought I could nurse it home, but was totally flat in 3oo yards.

Swapped out tire with temp spare and went to tire shop.

They said the tire was ruined and could not be patched. Set up appointment for all new 4 tires for Tuesday. Got call from shop Tuesday morning and the guy was really confused. Said that someone was working on the tire/wheel and left a pair of pliers in the tire. I said, those tires are OEM and have never been removed for any reason. He went on to explain the wheel was damaged and had a hole in it...ugh...

Said he priced a refurb wheel (Bighorn) for $480. I was totally bummed, not only did I have to replace the crap Nexen tires about 15K too soon but now an added expense. Salt in the wound. I asked to not order the wheel and give me a couple hours to find something else.

Found a set of used Laramie wheels for $550 on marketplace, so that was a no brainer! Now I had them use one of the full size tires as a spare and ditched the temp spare.

Sold the other 3 wheels for $200 on FB marketplace, so a net of $350 for new wheels, not too bad. I could have held out for more but just wanted them out of the garage. Guy was going to resell on ebay.

So this got me thinking about other flat tire stories out there.

See Pics

Attachments

• tirepic2.jpg
    tirepic2.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 113
  • tirepic1.jpg
    tirepic1.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 112
  • tirepic3.jpg
    tirepic3.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 113
  • tirepic4.jpg
    tirepic4.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 113
  • tirepic5.jpg
    tirepic5.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 113

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Driving about 1/2 from home hit a pothole and heard a pop. TMPS instantly showed it was losing pressure. Thought I could nurse it home, but was totally flat in 3oo yards.

They said the tire was ruined and could not be patched. Set up appointment for all new 4 tires for Tuesday. Got call from shop Tuesday morning and the guy was really confused. Said that someone was working on the tire/wheel and left a pair of pliers in the tire. I said, those tires are OEM and have never been removed for any reason. He went on to explain the wheel was damaged and had a hole in it...ugh...

Said he priced a refurb wheel (Bighorn) for $480. I was totally bummed, not only did I have to replace the crap Nexen tires about 15K too soon but now an added expense. Salt in the wound. I asked to not order the wheel and give me a couple hours to find something else.

Found a set of used Laramie wheels for $550 on marketplace, so that was a no brainer! Now I had them use one of the full size tires as a spare and ditched the temp spare.

Sold the other 3 wheels for $200 on FB marketplace, so a net of $350 for new wheels, not too bad. I could have held out for more but just wanted them out of the garage. Guy was going to resell on ebay.

See Pics
That sucks, probably could have filed through insurance for the wheel and tire replacement and only been out your deductible, and then still did the deal for reh Laramie wheels.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

See Pics
a 2019 and you never heard a strange noise from the tire?
did you ever rotate them?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Gotta say, that’s a first time I’ve ever heard of that lol

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was driving along on a neighborhood street and heard a very loud bang. My right rear tire went flat immediately. I pulled over to swap it out with the spare and when I was done, I loaded the flat tire into the back of my truck. Just then I noticed a 2" hole in the right front corner of the wheel well inside the bed . It looked like a bullet hole. I didn't find any shrapnel, so to this day I don't know what made that hole. I didn't take any pics because it was back in the 90's and phones didn't have cameras.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's wild. If the pliers had been in there all along I'd think you would have had balance problems. So the pliers were in the pothole, maybe? I did pick up a 1/4" grade 8 bolt one time, but usually just nails.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I worked at an open pit gold mine up in BC Canada and one winter they gravelled the road with some fine crush. The fragments turned out to be extremely sharp and some tires picked it up like a magnet and would not let go. The pieces would slowly work their way into the tire until they punched through. I had BFG's at the time so I was good but a buddy with Michelin's lost 3 tires in one week. Each tire had one failure and several other's that were almost all the ay thtough the cords. 170 employees total and only 3 had tires that were affected. Odd.

Last edited:

Klute

Reaction score
a 2019 and you never heard a strange noise from the tire?
did you ever rotate them?
The pliers were in the pothole and then punctured the tire and rim when I drove over it. Tires had been rotated 2 times before.

Klute

Reaction score
That sucks, probably could have filed through insurance for the wheel and tire replacement and only been out your deductible, and then still did the deal for reh Laramie wheels.
Have $500 deductible, figured it was not worth it.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well that is just nuts!

The tinies piece of glass cut a hole in the sidewall of my tire last week…

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ran over one of those old style, metal, sprinkler heads. The ones that are basically a metal stake you drive into the ground with and sprinkler head on top. Was driving down a farmer's dirt road behind my dad's place and bam.. ripped right through the sidewall of my truck tire. this was back in back in 04 I think.

More recently my wife somehow managed to hit this on her way to work going down I-95, near Wilmington, DE. Luckily it did not go through the wheel, but it destroyed the tire.
20191220_123634.jpg 20191220_123636.jpg 20191220_123638.jpg

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
The pliers were in the pothole and then punctured the tire and rim when I drove over it. Tires had been rotated 2 times before.
your post made it sound like it was found inside the tire since being build.

wife ran over a outside mirror rod that broke off
and it did the same thing tire was useless.
to top it off it was raining.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Picked this up the day I bought my second ram (2013) on a road in town, luckily we weren't able to swap over the rims/tires from my 2011 the day I bought it. Quick patch and took it back to the dealer to get my old rims/tires swapped over.

IMG_1824.JPG

mophead

Reaction score
I worked on the highway. We would roll the shoulders to pick up debris. Had just about anything you can imagine in a tire at one time or another. Lots of things that it's hard to believe could. I always have trouble figuring how some long pieces laying flat can all of a sudden stick up and go through a tire, especially when you're going slow. The wildest one would be a 3' rubber strap with the two S hooks. We were moving slow and the strap was slinging around hitting the fender. At first we thought it was debris kicking up. I saw it in the side mirror. It looked like a very pissed off snake biting the crap out of the side of the truck.

PS if you have any contractors working in your neighborhood they ALWAYS drop screws. Good idea to take a walk before you drive through there. They've gotten me 3-4 times.

Last edited:

SirHobgoblin

Reaction score
Ran over a semi trailer jack stand in the middle of a highway. Destroyed two tires in my 2001 Dakota sport, back when I was in high school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OhioGreenLaramie

Reaction score
When I was young and dumb I was working on my four wheeler, adjusting the carb and took it for a quick ride with no rear fenders. Rear tire felt odd so I stopped and right next to my leg was a huge piece of rusty metal . I was lucky I did not get cut. Pulled it out and lost the remaining pound of air. They were brand new tires, I was lucky and found a shop that vulcanized it.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Shortly after I got my 2019, I had a srcrew in the middle of the side wall, not sure how that happens. I'm sure someone could have done it intentionally but didn't have it parked anywhere long enough from my garage to when I noticed when I stopped for gas.

Users who are viewing this thread